Memento remake in the works from AMBI Pictures
It’s deja vu all over again for Memento.
Christopher Nolan’s mind-bending thriller about an amnesiac trying to piece together his wife’s murder is getting the remake treatment from AMBI Pictures, which will finance and produce the project, the company announced Monday.
AMBI took ownership of remake rights to Memento in September when it acquired the 400-title library of Exclusive Media Group, which also contains such films as Donnie Darko, Cruel Intentions, End of Watch, and Sliding Doors. AMBI then announced a $200 million film fund last week, which set up Memento for a greenlight.
Released in 2000, the original film starred Guy Pearce as a man suffering from a rare form of memory loss that prevents him from retaining new memories and seriously complicates his quest to track down one of his wife’s killers.
Told in a unique combination of chronological and reverse-chronological order, Memento received strong reviews, earned Oscar nominations for screenplay and editing, and marked Nolan as a rising filmmaker.
“People who’ve seen Memento 10 times still feel they need to see it one more time,” AMBI founder and CEO Andrea Iervolino said in the announcement. “This is a quality we feel really supports and justifies a remake. The bar is set high thanks to the brilliance or Christopher Nolan, but we wouldn’t want it any other way.”
Reached for comment about the remake, a representative for Nolan told EW, “Our only response is to clarify, Christopher Nolan is not involved in any projects with AMBI Pictures in any capacity.”