James Gunn says 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' will feature full frontal Groot nudity
Writer-director James Gunn may want his social media followers to stop bugging him about how they can be in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. But the filmmaker is still happy to answer pretty much any other question they might have.
Yesterday, Gunn hit Twitter to take part in a fan-driven Q&A, answering a range of questions from “Who was your favorite Star Wars character from the original trilogy?” to “Who’s the most frustrating actor/actress you have ever worked with?”
You can read 20 things we learned, below.
1. Asked how GotG Vol. 2 will top the sight of a shirtless, buff Chris Pratt in the first film, Gunn wrote “Groot full frontal.” (Note: Gunn was almost certainly joking and/or referencing the fact that the Vin Diesel-voiced walking tree is in a perpetual state of nudity. Then again, Gunn is the man who brought us 2006’s body-horror phantasmagoria, Slither. So, who knows?).
2. Although he intends to “play with little things” in the script for GotG Vol.2, it is “basically finished.”
3. His favorite TV show, past or present, is “probably The Wire.”
4. His favorite writers, meanwhile, are Philip K. Dick and Alan Moore.
5. There is still one “easter egg” in the original Guardians of the Galaxy that no one has spotted.
6. His favorite non-comic book action films are, off the top of his head: The Bourne Ultimatum, Hard Boiled, Die Hard, Fong Sai-yuk, Oldboy, and The Matrix.
7. He thinks the vampire comedy What We Do in the Shadows is the most entertaining movie of 2015.
8. GotG Vol 2 music supervisor Dave Jordan has secured the rights to every song Gunn wants to include in the sequel.
9. The soundtrack to the first GotG movie originally featured “Magic” by Pilot and ELO’s “Livin’ Thing,” but the relevant scenes were cut from the released film.
10. He thinks the most underappreciated cult classic horror film is David Cronenberg’s The Brood.
11. His favorite directors are Cronenberg, Martin Scorsese, and Preston Sturgess.
12. Although Gunn directed a segment of 2013’s critically-slammed anthology comedy Movie 43 he has yet the see the whole film.
13. The most frustrating actor or actress with whom he has ever worked is Michael Rooker. (Note: this is also worth taking with a bucket of salt. In fact, all three of Gunn’s solo-directed films — Slither, Super, and GotG — have heavily featured the actor.)
14. The first film script he ever wrote was for 1995’s Tromeo and Juliet. He was paid $150.
15. Asked to name the worst movie he has ever seen, Gunn responded that “Hail Mary by Jean-Luc Godard wasn’t my favorite.”
16. Asked by Dave Prowse, who played Darth Vader in the original trilogy of Star Wars films, to name his favorite character from those movies, Gunn responded “I have a feeling there is only one right answer to this question.”
17. Gunn and Diesel have a “special Groot script” with translations of what the character is actually saying.
18. Asked to name his favorite so-bad-it’s-good movie, Gunn wrote that, “If a movie is enjoyable I don’t think it’s bad, I think it’s good.” He then revealed that his favorite “strange” film is the 1977 Japanese horror movie Hausu (a.k.a. House).
19. His favorite part of the filmmaking process is editing.
20. He doesn’t know what he’s going to do once he finished GotG Vol.2.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2