Tomboy: Michelle Rodriguez to star in as transgender hitman in revenge thriller
- Fast & Furious and Avatar alum Michelle Rodriguez has joined Sigourney Weaver in the gender-swapping thriller Tomboy, A Revenger’s Tale. Written and directed by Walter Hill (from a story by Denis Hamill), the film centers on an expert assassin who is double-crossed and transformed into a woman (Rodriguez) by a rogue surgeon (Weaver), and then sets out for vengeance. Shooting starts next month in Vancouver, Canada. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Allison Janney has punched her ticket for The Girl on the Train, the big-screen adaptation of Paula Hawkins‘ bestselling psychological thriller. Janney will play a police detective in the story of a lonely divorcée (Emily Blunt) who gets entangled in a mystery involving a seemingly perfect couple whose house she passes on her daily commute. The cast also includes Rebecca Ferguson, Haley Bennett, and Edgar Ramirez. Directed by Tate Taylor, the film is due Oct. 7, 2016. [Variety]
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has added French actress Pom Klementieff in a yet-unknown role. She joins returning cast members Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, and Vin Diesel in the Marvel sequel about a motley crew of spacefaring heroes. Also returning is writer-director James Gunn. Shooting starts early next year, and the film is due May 5, 2017. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Li Bingbing (Resident Evil: Retribution, Transformers: Age of Extinction) will play a Chinese female superhero in Realm, a new film from Shanghai-based Fundamental Films and Stan Lee Global Entertainment. The project is based on an original idea by Stan Lee, who co-created such classic comic book characters as Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, and the X-Men. Alex Litvak (Predators, The Three Musketeers) will write the script.
- Tom Wilkinson is the newest cast member of Lennart Ruff‘s sci-fi film The Titan. He joins Sam Worthington, Ruth Wilson, and Sofia Boutella in the near-future story of a military family relocated as part of an experiment involving humankind’s genetic evolution in space. [Deadline]
- After starring in the found-footage horror film The Gallows, Reese Mishler is returning to the world of scary movies with Car 86, a tale about four estranged high-school pals who return from college and end up on an ill-fated police ride. Paul Woolfolk and Sarah Davenport co-star, and Louis Benjamin Del Guercio is making his featuring directing debut, working from a script by Greg Ballard. Principal photography is scheduled to start this week. [The Hollywood Reporter]