Amy Schumer cast in mother-daughter comedy
- Amy Schumer will star in a future mother-daughter comedy from Warm Bodies director Jonathan Levine. There is no title or other casting on Katie Dippold‘s script yet. The search for Schumer’s complementary maternal figure, though, is underway. [Deadline]
- Mel Gibson has found Andrew Garfield‘s dad for Hacksaw Ridge: Hugo Weaving. The Matrix villain and Lord of the Rings sage is the newest addition to the true story World War II movie about conscientious objector Desmond Doss (Garfield) who saved 75 men during a battle in Okinawa. Doss eventually won the Congressional Medal of Honor. Written by Robert Schenkkan and Randall Wallace, Hacksaw Ridge also stars Vince Vaughn, Sam Worthington, Rachel Griffiths, and Luke Bracey. [The Wrap]
- Harry Shearer has signed on to play a stepdad in Bastards, a comedy about twin brothers (Ed Helms, Owen Wilson) seeking their biological father. Shearer will be hitched to Glenn Close in the film. Shearer, the jack-of-all-trades Simpsons voice actor and comedian joins J.K Simmons, Katie Aselton (The League), Terry Bradshaw, and Ving Rhames in the Lawrence Sher‘s directorial debut off Justin Malen‘s script. The feature is due for a Nov. 4, 2016 release. [Deadline]
- Judy Greer will be back to fight in the War of the Planet of the Apes. The comic actress will play Cornelia, the chimpanzee wife of apes leader Caesar (Andy Serkis). Matt Reeves is also back from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes to direct. Filming began last week. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- The Duff and The Flash star Robbie Amell has been tapped for The Babysitter. Starring Judah Lewis and Samara Weaving, the film from McG tracks a boy and his babysitter (Lewis and Weaving, respectively) on a night where nothing can possibly go right. Brian Duffield penned the screenplay. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Emily Dickinson will be played by Molly Shannon in a new biopic. The indie directed and written by Madeleine Olnek has no public plot details or title, but filming is nearly finished after Los Angeles and New York shoots. It’s comedic and experimental in nature, with Shannon as an older Dickinson, and Dana Melanie has a younger one. [Deadline]
- Gemma Atherton will lead up Like a Virgin, the first project from Catherine Shepherd. It follows the story of Mary, who’s visited by Angel Gabriel after a wild night out. Gabriel informs her she will be the mother of the next messiah. [Deadline]
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article stated Amy Schumer would play the mother role in her new comedy.
WANT MORE EW? Subscribe now to keep up with the latest in movies, television and music.