The most awkward Awkward moments from The Big Reveal
Jenna tries to tell Matty she loves him.
MTV’s Awkward lives up to its name — and each week, EW will chronicle the comedy-drama’s most uncomfortable moments. This time, we’re looking at season 5, episode 7, also known as “The Big Reveal,” where Jenna tries to work up the courage to confess her love to Matty. Here are the five most awkward moments from this episode of Awkward in chronological order.
1. Jenna tells her mom how she feels about Matty, which would be a normal conversation between a mother and daughter — except for the fact that Lacey told Matty back around spring break to stay away from Jenna, unbeknown to Jenna. It takes a few moments for Jenna to notice her mom is being uncharacteristically unsupportive before Lacey comes forward and tells her the truth about what she did. Lacey’s motherly mishaps are mostly understandable, including this one, but that doesn’t make the reveal of her interference in their relationship any less uncomfortable.
2. Darlene decides to introduce her boyfriend, Ted, to Sadie, during lunch. She also introduces both of them to some lies: Turns out Ted was there way back in September, but didn’t get to meet Sadie because, according to Darlene, she was too busy applying to colleges. Sadie might have been too busy, but Darlene wouldn’t have known because she wasn’t talking to Sadie then. Darlene and Sadie’s sweet mother-daughter bonding that’s been going on the past few episodes? Over. Completely over.
3. Val is back! She went on an Eat, Pray, Love-inspired journey through Disney World’s Epcot and is now happy and ready to marry Biggie. This is all great news, but she makes her surprise entrance right as Lacey is preparing to cut into a cake and find out whether her baby is a girl or a boy. Moment ruined.
4. Lacey doesn’t know what sex her baby is, but Jenna and Kevin do — and they spend most of the episode trying to hide this knowledge. They do a good job until the absolute last minute, when Jenna enthusiastically suggests, “Let’s get this cake cut and we can welcome this girl!” before realizing her slip-up. On the plus side, though, Lacey finding out her future child’s sex from her current child is probably going to make a much more memorable story in years to come.
5. After multiple attempts, Jenna finally gets Matty alone for dinner, where she’s planning to tell him how she feels. And he seems to feel the same: Although he just got an offer to go to Berkeley for school, he tells Jenna he’s considering a school on the East Coast — a.k.a. closer to where she’s going (two hours away, in fact). His proposal is romantic and exactly what Emotional Jenna wants, but Logical Jenna knows it wouldn’t be fair for Matty to go to a school that’s not his first choice strictly because of her. So Logical Jenna wins. She encourages him to go to Berkeley and fights back tears throughout the rest of dinner as they pretend like they’re just going to be good friends. The bad news is that these last few minutes of the episode are painful for everyone involved. The good news is that if Matty and Jenna’s pasts have taught us anything, they can only keep pretending for so long.
Watch Awkward Mondays at 9 p.m. ET on MTV.