The Strokes say they're in the studio recording new music at Landmark Festival
There could be new music from the Strokes sooner than we thought. Though founding rhythm guitarist Albert Hammond, Jr. insisted in July that there were no plans for the New York band to get back in the studio, lead singer Julian Casablancas announced on Sunday night that the Strokes were working on new music.
While performing at Washington, D.C.’s Landmark Festival Casablancas reportedly told the crowd, “We’ll be back soon. We’ll be back in the studio and sh-t.” Guitarist Nick Valensi’s wife, Amanda de Cadenet, tweeted that the “cat was out of the bag.”
Earlier this year, Hammond, Jr. spoke to EW about his new solo album, but when asked if the Strokes had anything in the works he said, “We don’t. That’s about it.”
Casablancas, though, told Noisey this spring, “It’s the first time we’ve been exclusively writing since [The Strokes’ 2013 album] Comedown Machine,” he says. “We’re planning on recording stuff. I still think we could do cool things and I’ll do that.”
A rep for the Strokes did not immediately return EW’s request for comment.