The most awkward 'Awkward' moments from 'The Dis-engagement Dinner'
Matty gives T an unpleasant engagement gift and Jenna can't keep her mouth shut.
MTV’s Awkward lives up to its name — and each week, EW will chronicle the comedy-drama’s most uncomfortable moments. This time, we’re looking at season 5, episode 5, also known as “The Dis-engagement Party,” where T makes Jenna throw her an engagement party before breaking it off with Adam. Here are the five most awkward moments from this episode of Awkward in chronological order.
1. One moment, Jake is telling Gabby how much it would mean to him to get a scholarship as they sit in the high school auditorium. The next, Matty’s being called to the stage to accept said scholarship. “This is, it’s cool, yeah,” Matty fumbles at the podium. “So, thanks.” First Jake lost his best friend (although we all know that sleeping with his best friend’s girlfriend wasn’t exactly a great friendship move), and now he lost a scholarship he really, really wanted to this same person. It’s a rough day to be Jake.
2. Later on, Jake tries to be the bigger person and congratulate Matty on the scholarship. Matty, though, responds by being overly, uh… humble? “It’s only $10 grand,” he says. “No big deal.” No, Matty, noooooo. Matty f—ing McKibben strikes again. (Luckily, he and Jake later bro out and make up without really ever apologizing to each other. But that still doesn’t cancel out the extreme cringe-worthiness of the “it’s only $10 grand” moment.)
3. T sets out a bowl at her engagement party where people can submit wishes they have for her and Adam’s future. Cute, right? It is in theory, but Matty ends up being the only person to put something in the bowl, and it’s not even a wish. T and Adam find this out the hard way when they shush the entire room to read the note aloud… only to discover that Matty actually put his spit-up mini-quiche in a napkin and threw that in the bowl thinking it was a good hiding place. Ew.
4. Gabby drunkenly tells Jenna that Matty still loves her, a confession that sends Jenna’s mind racing. Her thoughts are so jumbled that when T tells her she has to make a surprise speech, she first addresses how some people might call T and Adam “crazy” or “stupid” for getting married so young before launching into musings about her own feelings. Note to T: Revoke Jenna’s speech privileges before any other wedding-related events.
5. Jenna again ruins the engagement party’s otherwise fine vibe when Brian — you know, the Marine that she was hooking up with for a minute — confronts her about how she’s been making strange faces at T and Adam all night. It’s at this point that Jenna can’t take it anymore: She explodes with everything T’s told her about not actually loving Adam, about breaking off the engagement after having this one last hurrah. And she doesn’t do it quietly. Everyone, including the guests of honor, hear her, and from that moment on, the secret’s out. Oops. At least this gave T a chance to contemplate how she really felt?
Bonus: Jenna greets both Brian and Matty by saying, “Hey, big guy.” File this under “pet names that sound surprisingly out-of-place coming out of a teenage girl’s mouth.”
Watch Awkward Mondays at 9 p.m. ET on MTV.