September 25, 2015 at 12:51 PM EDT

Maybe the line will continue after all. Tron Legacy star Garrett Hedlund said plans for Tron 3 are not “totally dead,” this despite Disney saying it was not moving forward with the sequel earlier this year.

“Ever since we did Legacy, we knew that to have another story follow it up, it had to be concrete and exciting,” Hedlund said to ComicBook.com. “Disney needed to have the right story to go forward. I think it was going to introduce some things that were as exciting as Legacy was and then some, though.”

In May, Disney put the brakes on Tron 3, just one month after pushing the film into development with Hedlund and Olivia Wilde set to reprise their Legacy roles. Joseph Kosinski, who directed Tron Legacy, was also attached to return for the new film.

But even if it does eventually get back on Disney’s schedule, don’t expect Tron 3 to arrive any time soon. Tron Legacy was released in theaters 28 years after Tron, and Hedlund joked that a similar gap could happen again.

“I’ll have my young Flynn CGI face, who knows?” he said in reference to how the film handled original star Jeff Bridges aging between the films. “But they could do it anytime from now, and I would of course jump back in. Something like that could be quite fun, though!”

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST