Ready Player One: Olivia Cooke scores female lead
- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl star Olivia Cooke is ready to press start on Ready Player One, Steven Spielberg‘s adaptation of Ernest Cline‘s retro-futuristic sci-fi novel. The 21-year-old British actress will play the female lead, Art3mis, in the near-future tale about an ’80s-themed treasure hunt set inside an advanced virtual-reality game. Warner Bros. will release the film Dec. 15, 2017. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Patton Oswalt has logged in to James Ponsoldt‘s The Circle, based on the Dave Eggers book about a young woman working at an Internet giant that links users’ email, social media, banking, and purchases with a universal operating system. Oswalt, who’ll play one of the company’s three honchos, joins a cast including Emma Watson, Tom Hanks, John Boyega, and Karen Gillan. Production is scheduled to start this month. [Deadline]
- Entourage star and deli man Jerry Ferrara has been added to the cast of Sully, the Clint Eastwood-directed biopic about the veteran pilot who safely landed a damaged passenger plane on the Hudson River in 2009. Ferrara, whose specific role has yet to be revealed, joins Tom Hanks as Capt. Chelsey “Sully” Sullenberger III, Laura Linney as his wife, and Aaron Eckhart as Sully’s co-pilot. The Warner Bros. film is scheduled to start production in the fall. [Variety]
- Twilight helmer Catherine Hardwicke has found her leads for Stargirl: Joey King (Ramona and Beezus, Wish I Was Here) and Charlie Plummer (HBO’s Boardwalk Empire) will star in the adaptation of Jerry Spinelli‘s YA novel about a new girl who captivates the student body of an Arizona high school, only for them to turn on her. The film will shoot in New Mexico in the fall. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Hung hunk Thomas Jane is in talks to star in the indie thriller Inversion. Directed by Zack Parker (Proxy), who co-wrote with Kevin Donner, the film is to tell the story of two men who are polar opposites but also connected by their mutual desire for change. Production is scheduled to start next year in Chicago. [Deadline]
- Zoe Saldana and Madison Wolfe will star in I Kill Giants, based on Joe Kelly‘s graphic novel about a misfit girl (Wolfe) battling monsters real and imaginary. Saldana will play a school psychologist. Shooting is set to start early next year, with Anders Walter calling the shots. [The Wrap]
WANT MORE EW? Subscribe now to keep up with the latest in movies, television and music.