Drake breaks silence on fatal Toronto nightclub shooting after OVO Fest
'I am plagued and pained by the violence that continues to escalate in our city,' the rapper said
Drake has broken his silence on the Aug. 4 shooting that left two dead and three others injured at an after-party for his OVO Fest at a nightclub in Toronto.
“The last few days I have been in a moral bind,” the Canadian rapper wrote Friday on his blog, October’s Very Own. “I am used to the fact that my life and the things I say to my fans are closely watched. It’s tough in situations like this where there’s a tragedy and I consider the advice of my trusted advisors and counsel who worry that anything I might say could be misinterpreted. However, today I am choosing to follow my heart.”
“I am plagued and pained by the violence that continues to escalate in our city. I stare into the eyes of so many young people and I wish to see them all shine as bright as they possibly can in this lifetime,” he added. “I encourage my generation to show as much value and gratitude as you can for the lives we have been gifted.”
Drake then offered his condolences to the families of Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, 26, and Duvel Hibbert, 23, who were killed in the shooting, and also to “all of the families that have lost loved ones to the senseless violence that has and continues to occur” in his hometown.
“Although Toronto is globally viewed as a major city, at the core we are still a small close-knit community, and it is our public responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of one another. We need each other to further our communities for generations to come,” he wrote, before finishing the open letter with prayers “for better times and better understanding.”
The Associated Press reports that police have said they are looking for two suspects in the shootings. At a news conference earlier in the week, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders asked for any witnesses to the crime to “do the right thing” and speak to authorities.
You can read Drake’s full letter at his website.