Bill Cosby has been ordered to answer questions under oath in a lawsuit alleging he abused a 15-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1974.
Cosby’s deposition, ordered by Judge Craig D. Karlan of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, is set to take place Oct. 9, according to court documents. The 78-year-old comedian is ordered to answer questions under oath from the lawyer of his accuser, Judy Huth. Huth is ordered to answer questions from Cosby’s lawyers on Oct. 15.
“We are pleased that we will now be able to move ahead without further delay on Ms. Huth’s case and we look forward to taking Mr. Cosby’s deposition,” said Gloria Allred, Huth’s attorney, in a statement. Cosby’s attorneys did not immediately respond to EW’s requests for comment.
Huth — one of more than 40 woman to accuse Cosby of sexual assault — alleges in a lawsuit filed last year that Cosby sexually molested her when she was 15 years old. In the lawsuit, Huth said she has suffered “severe and extreme emotional distress,” and is seeking punitive and exemplary damages.
Huth also met with Los Angeles detectives in December to seek criminal charges for the actor, but the Los Angeles County District Attorney declined to charge Cosby because the statue of limitations had passed.
The deposition order comes just a few weeks after excerpts from a 2005 deposition of Cosby in the case of former Temple University employee Andrea Constand, who alleges Cosby drugged and assaulted her in his Pennsylvania home. In that deposition, Cosby admitted to obtaining Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to women he wanted to have sex with. Cosby’s attorneys have argued that Cosby used Quaaludes for consensual sex.
Cosby has never been charged with a crime.