Justin Bieber pleads guilty to assault and careless driving
Justin Bieber has pleaded guilty to charges of careless driving and assault stemming from his August 2014 arrest in Ontario, the province’s Ministry of the Attorney General confirmed to EW on Thursday.
Bieber was involved in a collision between a minivan and ATV on Aug. 29 of last year that eventually resulted in a physical altercation between him and the other driver. At the time, Bieber’s lawyer, Brian Greenspan, released a statement that said his client’s weekend “was unfortunately disrupted by the unwelcome presence of paparazzi.”
“This has regrettably resulted in charges of dangerous driving and assault,” he said.
According to Ontario’s Ministry of the Attorney General, Bieber “pleaded guilty and received an absolute discharge” to the dangerous driving charge and “pleaded guilty and received a $750 fine” to the careless driving charge when he appeared before the judge by video (he was in Los Angeles; the judge was in Ontario) Thursday.
“All the sudden there were cameras and he reacted badly to it,” Greenspan told EW of the incident, “and he acknowledged what he did.” He went on to add that Thursday’s court appearance was “all really quite routine and very respectful.”