Sam Smith: vocal cord surgery coming after canceled tour dates
The Grammy-winning singer says he's undergoing an operation next week.
One week after Sam Smith announced he was canceling his Australian tour due to a vocal cord hemorrhage, the “Stay With Me” singer is taking another step to getting better: he’s undergoing surgery.
The Grammy-winner announced the news on Tuesday, writing on Instagram, “Bad news. I have my operation booked for next week, so getting really nervous. But by doing this in 8 weeks time I’m gonna be able to sing like never before so it’s worth it. I am so sorry to all. Dreading the next month [though], I can’t speak for THREE weeks after the op.”
Smith, 22, also added that he was “gutted” to be missing some upcoming tour dates, which previously included a May 7 performance in Tokyo. He’s also set for a summer U.S. tour, set to kick off July 18, though Smith hasn’t clarified whether those dates will be canceled too.
“Smith regretfully will cancel his scheduled forthcoming appearances, including The Billboard Music Awards and Red Nose Day, and will resume touring in July as soon as he completes his prescribed healing time following the procedure,” his representative said in a statement.
Smith is not the first singer to be maligned with vocal issues in recent years. Adele canceled her U.S. tour in 2011 and John Mayer suffered a similar issue in 2012, forcing the delayed release of his album and cancelation of his tour.