Kanye West tells Lee Daniels not to use his TIME 100 performance on 'Empire'
- TV Show
Kanye West and Empire are too perfectly suited not to collide at some point, beyond the occasional offhanded Yeezy reference. Each has its own set of critics—but both have broken ground in their respective fields. So naturally, both the rapper and the creator of Fox’s hit, Lee Daniels, earned spots on the 2015 TIME 100.
But Ye threw a bit of shade on Fox’s hit during the mini-concert—which featured shirtless black men covered in white chalk—he performed at the TIME 100 Gala Tuesday. “Lee, don’t try to take this on your next season though, man—trying to have one of the brothers pulling my shit, man,” West joked at the event. “If you see this on Empire, you just know where he got it from.” Which prompts a question: If Daniels ignores West’s plea, which Empire character would be most likely to replicate West’s show?
1. Jamal Lyon: By far the most talented artist in the family. He’d do it tastefully.
2. Lucious Lyon: Pairs the intimate presentation with an outlandish song about his legacy—assuming he promptly gets out of prison.
3. Hakeem Lyon: His God complex approaches Yeezus levels.
4. Tiana Brown: Second-best musician on the show, but would get shut out for not being in Empire’s empire.
273. Elle Dallas: Um. Let’s not broach this.
See full coverage of the TIME 100 Gala here.