Casting Net: Emma Stone in negotiations for musical 'La La Land'
- Emma Stone is in negotiations to star in the musical La La Land, which follows aspiring actress Mia, who’s lonely and desperate to fit in, and the cocky yet charismatic jazz pianist Sebastian. The two fall in love in Los Angeles. But the city that brought them together could tear them apart, as they discover that balancing love and art in such a cutthroat town isn’t easy. [The Wrap]
- Jason O’Mara (Sons Of Liberty) has been cast alongside Jamie Dornan (Fifty Shades Of Grey) in Jadotville. O’Mara is set to play Company Sgt. Jack “Sarge” Prendergast, right-hand man to Dornan. The film is based on the story of the 1961 siege of an Irish UN battalion by 3,000 Congolese troops who were led by French and Belgian mercenaries working for mining companies. [Deadline]
- Universal Pictures has re-teamed with Jennifer Lopez on Mothers I’d Like To…, a comedy pitch. The story is being kept under wraps. [Deadline]
- Bill Paxton is in negotiations to star opposite Daniel Radcliffe in Grand Theft Auto, the true account of the fight between the creator of the game and a Miami lawyer who wanted to ban video game violence. Paxton will play activist attorney Jack Thompson, who frequently attacked GTA, Houser, and Rockstar Games. “He made his name blasting media companies for pushing rap and sex onto the airwaves before turning his attention to video games. His unorthodox methods eventually led to his being disbarred in 2008 for inappropriate behavior.” The movie, set to begin shooting April 20, is based on the book Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto, by David Kushner. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Gemma Arterton (Quantum Of Solace), Sam Claflin (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay) and Bill Nighy (The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) will be starring in Their Finest Hour And A Half, a romantic-screwball comedy. The film is a battle of the sexes that follows the misadventures of a British film crew trying to make a patriotic film to boost morale during the Blitz. The film is set for a late summer shoot. [Deadline]