A few theories on who Caity Lotz will play on the 'Arrow'-'Flash' spinoff
It really should come as no surprise that The CW is tapping the Arrow and Flash well for another spinoff. But what did shock fans was the announcement that Caity Lotz, whose Arrow character Sara Lance died earlier this season, would somehow play a role on this new superhero team-up project.
The untitled drama—which is being developed by Arrow and Flash executive producers Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti, as well as Arrow boss Marc Guggenheim and Sarah Schechter—stars Brandon Routh (Ray Palmer/The Atom), Wentworth Miller (Leonard Snart/Captain Cold), Dominic Purcell (Mick Rory, Heat Wave), Victor Garber (Martin Stein/Firestorm), Ciara Renee (Kendra Saunders, Hawkgirl), Arthur Darvill (Rip Hunter) and Lotz. But, seriously, how?! EW has a few (albeit far-fetched) theories on how the actress will appear on the new project:
1. Lazarus Pits: Putting Sara’s corpse into Ra’s al Ghul’s own fountain of youth is pretty much the No. 1 theory right now. If the comics have proven anything, there are some severe side effects to taking a dip—including basically going insane—which could bring out a whole new side to Sara that viewers have never seen before, offering up a wealth of story lines in the potential series. On the flip side, Sara has been dead for quite a while, so even the Lazarus Pits may not be able to save her.
2. Anthology Series: Creating an entirely new show that can last and stay fresh for multiple seasons can be daunting—especially if it means we start getting superhero fatigue. But what if the producers are actually planning a storyline based on this set of characters for only one season? If they did an anthology, we could see future seasons focused on different characters throughout the DC Comics universe. What does this have to do with who Lotz is playing, you ask? Because she could still be playing Sara, but only in flashbacks. If the anthology told the past, present and future of some of our favorite heroes and villains, then Lotz could presumably appear in stories that detail the missing time of how she joined the League of Assassins and became the Canary.
3. Parallel Universe: Another theory high on the list is the possibility that this new project is inspired by Flashpoint, a five-issue miniseries that led to DC’s New 52s. In short, Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) traveled back in time to prevent Eobard Thawne (Tom Cavanagh) from killing his mother, which fractured the fabric of reality and caused a seismic change in the future—like Captain Cold is actually Citizen Cold, Central City’s greatest hero. What if the changes go beyond that and Sara is still alive in this parallel universe? Possible proof: Executive producer Andrew Kreisberg recently teased at PaleyFest that the show would be adapting “a fairly big Flash storyline from the comics” in the future.
4. All of the above: It’s feasible, but good luck wrapping your brain around that.
5. None of the above: Maybe the producers just love Lotz so much that she’s going to play an entirely new character we haven’t seen before on either The Flash or Arrow. If they change up her look enough, just maybe the fans could believe her as another character, possibly someone like Power Girl. But that option seems even more far-fetched than the new project taking place in an alternate reality.
What are your theories on how Lotz will appear on the Arrow–Flash spinoff?