Casting Net: Allison Janney joins Tim Burton on 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'
- Allison Janney has signed on to Tim Burton‘s adaptation of the novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Eva Green, Asa Butterfield, Ella Purnell and Samuel L. Jackson make up the rest of the cast. The film follows a teenager (Butterfield) who finds himself transported to an island where he must help protect a group of orphans who have special powers, from creatures who are out to destroy them. Green will play the titular character, who is guardian to these orphans. Janney will play Butterfield’s psychiatrist. Production has begun and the film is set for a March 4, 2016 release. [Variety]
- Giancarlo Esposito has joined George Clooney and Julia Roberts in Jodie Foster’s Money Monster. He will be playing Captain Marcus Powell, the NYPD lead officer in charge of the hostage situation between a gunman and a TV stock tip announcer named Lee Gates (Clooney). “Esposito’s character tries desperately to bring the ordeal to a peaceful close as the gunman promises to kill Gates if the cameras are turned off, thereby captivating a nation.” [Deadline]
- Dascha Polanco (Orange Is The New Black) will co-star in Joy, the David O. Russell film about the rags-to-riches story of Miracle Mop inventor Joy Mangano. Jennifer Lawrence will star, with Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper and Edgar Ramirez rounding out the cast. [Deadline]
- Dominic Fumusa has signed on to Michael Bay‘s 13 Hours, the political drama about the 2012 attack on an American compound in Libya that left a U.S. ambassador dead. The story revolves around the special-forces team that attempts to rescue him. Fumusa will portray John “Tig” Tiegen, an ex-Marine who has weapons expertise and is also a quiet family man. He is one of the American security operators who fought to protect Americans stationed at the U.S. State Department Special Mission Compound in Benghazi, Libya. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Sophie Simmons will star in the upcoming horror film Dark Roads ’79. The film is a suspenseful indie about a rock star who trades his own soul for fame and fortune. Simmons will play Stacy, a woman who travels to a remote cabin in the Appalachian Mountains with the aging rock band Dark Roads. But all hell breaks loose after it’s discovered that the band’s lead singer sold his soul. [The Wrap]