Casting Net: Bella Thorne to play heroin addict in Lifetime's 'Perfect High'
- Former Disney star Bella Thorne will be playing a heroin-addicted suburban teen in the upcoming Lifetime movie Perfect High. Thorne will play Amanda, a dancer who starts using prescription drugs after being sidelined by a knee injury. Thorne’s character is ultimatley tricked into doing heroin disguised as a cheap killer and becomes addicted. The film began production on Feb. 1. [The Wrap]
- Geoffrey Rush (The King’s Speech) will star in Final Portrait, a drama written and directed by Stanley Tucci. The film is based on the work of American art critic James Lord, and follows the relationship between him and his friend, the Swiss painter Alberto Giacometti, as he sits for a portrait for the demanding artist. [Deadline]
- Milla Jovovich is in final talks to star in a fantasy adventure project based on short stories by George R.R. Martin, In the Lost Lands. Justin Chatwin (Shameless) has also signed on to the Germany-Canada co-production and is planning to begin shooting in Germany at the end of 2015. The movie will interconnect three female-centric Martin stories, one in which Jovovich plays a sorceress. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Former teammates on The Last Days of Disco, director Whit Stillman and stars Kate Beckinsale and Chloe Sevigny are back together for an 18th century period piece, Love & Friendship. The film is the director’s adaptation of Jane Austen’s novella, Lady Susan, about a beautiful widow who goes to the estate of her in-laws to wait out rumors about her dalliances and secure a new husband. Production begins late February in Ireland. [Deadline]
- XYZ Films has teamed with Distant Corners Entertainment to produce a feature anthology directed by filmmakers including Kevin Smith, Gary Shore, and Matt Johnson. The film, Holidays, will tell subversive stories about Christmas, Easter, Halloween, and Mother’s Day. The film’s cast is expected to feature well-known names. [Deadline]
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers will star in the espionage thriller, Damascus Cover. The film, based on Howard Kaplan’s best-selling novel, is set in 1989 and focuses on a veteran spy who is sent undercover in Syria to smuggle a chemical weapons scientist and his family out of Damascus. Production begins this week in Morocco. [Variety]
- Scott Eastwood has signed on to co-star with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Shailene Woodley in Oliver Stone‘s untitled film about NSA leader Edward Snowden. Eastwood will be playing an NSA agent who leads the group. The rights to the Time of the Octopus novel by Snowden’s Russian lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, and The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World’s Most Wanted Man, by Guardian journalist Luke Harding, were both obtained for the film. [Deadline]