Casting Net: 'Broad City' star Hannibal Buress takes role in 'Daddy's Home'
• Hannibal Buress is joining Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg in Daddy’s Home. Sean Ander and John Morris are directing the film, which tells the story of a radio executive (Ferrell) who wants to be the best stepdad he can to his wife’s two children. But, his plans are disrupted when the children’s biological father shows up. Buress will play a sarcastic handyman who believes the stepdad to be racist, the result of some ploying on the part of Wahlberg’s character. Linda Cardellini also stars as Ferrell’s wife. The film began shooting on Monday in New Orleans. [THR]
• Clive Owen, Jaeden Lieberher, and Maria Bello are set to star with Patton Oswalt, Tim Blake Nelson, Robert Foster, Matthew Modine, and Stephen Tobolowsky in The Confirmation. Bob Nelson, who wrote the script for Alexander Payne‘s Nebraska, is making his directorial debut with the pic. The film follows an 8-year-old Anthony (Lieberher) and his estranged father (Owen) who spend two days together when the boy’s mother (Bello) and new husband (Modine) are away. Though they get off to a rough start, the father-son pair work toward repairing their relationship in that time. [Deadline]
• Tate Donovan has been cast in Three Generations. The film stars Naomi Watts, Elle Fanning, and Susan Sarandon in the story of a teenager, Ray (Fanning), transitioning from female to male, while Ray’s mother (Watts) and grandmother (Sarandon) work accept the transition. Donovan will play Craig, a boyfriend of Ray’s mom who helped raise him earlier on. Gaby Dellal is directing the film, with a script written by Nikole Beckwith. [Deadline]
• Alexander Ludwig, of Hunger Games fame, is set for Go With Me. Daniel Alfredson is directing the thriller, which stars Anthony Hopkins, Julia Stiles, and Ray Liotta. Alfredson and Hopkins previously worked on Kidnapping Freddy Heineken. The story follows a woman who is harassed by a local crimelord upon returning home, and subsequently seeks help from an ex-logger (Hopkins) and his young sidekick (Ludwig). The film is an adaptation of Castle Freeman Jr.‘s novel of the same name. Hopkins is producing with Rick Dugdale, Lindsay Williams, and Elaine Goldsmith-Vein. [Deadline]
• Ahna O’Reilly and Richard Armitage, known for The Help and The Hobbit respectively, have signed on for Sleepwalker. The psychological thriller stars O’Reilly as a grad student who struggles with insomnia and nightmares, and Armitage as a handsome researcher working at the sleep clinic she turns to for help. Things take a turn for the worse, however, when her reality changes every time she wakes up. Haley Joel Osment takes a supporting role in the film. Elliot Lester is directing from a script by Jack Olsen. [Deadline]
• Morris Chestnut and Regina Hall are set to star in When The Bough Breaks, which Jon Cassar will direct. The film follows a couple who hires a surrogate who develops an unhealthy fixation with the husband. The film falls under Chestnut’s three-picture deal with Sony’s Screen Gems as an actor and producer. [Deadline]
• World War Z‘s Sterling Jerins has been cast in Geostorm in the role of Hannah Lawson, daugther to Gerard Butler‘s Jake. The film follows two brothers who must save the earth from a terrible storm and save the president from an assassination attempt. Dean Devlin will direct the film, which also stars Jim Sturgess, Abbie Cornish, and Ed Harris. [Variety]