Warner Bros. orders 'Static Shock,' others for digital series slate
It’s no Justice League announcement, but Warner Bros. isn’t resting on the laurels of its burgeoning cinematic universe. The studio announced the new name of its digital unit and the live action and animated series it’s developing.
On Tuesday, the studio announced that the newly renamed Blue Ribbon Content division will be producing live-action versions of DC Comics’ Static Shock, the video game Mortal Kombat, and a host of other animated and live-action projects.
Here is a full breakdown of those series as well as the other projects currently in development.
1. Batman: The Animated Series Experience: Warner Bros. has teamed up with visual effects company Otoy to recreate the stylized Batcave as it appeared on Batman: The Animated Series, and allow fans to talk through its halls. The experience will come to virtual reality devices like the Oculus Rift and Samsung Galaxy VR.
2. Critters: Based on the New Line Cinema franchise of the same name, Critters, written by Michael Jelenic & Aaron Horvath of Teen Ttitans Go!, as a new alien infestation plagues Earth.
3. Ginger Snaps: The comedy series Ginger Snaps will follow a troop of young girls as they manipulate and scheme their way to power among the seedy underworld of the Ginger Snaps.
4. Golden Revenge: Imagine a more comedic Homeward Bound, as Golden Revenge follows a dog and cat left in the forest by their owner after his new wife gives him an ultimatum: Either she goes or the pets do. The show will follow the house pets, now out in the wild, as they make their way back home and plot their revenge along the way.
5. Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles: The series will debut on Machinima in 2015 and is based on the animated film Justice League: Gods and Monsters, which is also set to release in 2015. The series aims to show a darker version of the League’s most popular members than some fans may recognize.
6. Ouroboros: From Weed Road Pictures, Ouroboros will tell the story of two police officers who, over the course of one night in Wisconsin, must contend with a series of mysterious attacks and possessions.
7. Play It Again, Dick: The Veronica Mars sort-of-spinoff about Ryan Hansen wanting to make a Veronica Mars spinoff has already premiered. Find out more about the show from Hansen himself.
8. RejecTED: Taking a crack at the idea of TED Talks and similar speech series that you never knew you needed, RejecTED will take a satirical look at the rejected and lesser-known speeches that the world hasn’t heard.
9. Static Shock: A live-action take on the Milestone and DC Comics series, Static Shock will tell the story of the electrically powered Virgil Hawkins. The show comes from The Bernie Mac Show producer Reginald Hudlin.
10. Untitled Mortal Kombat project: While there has already been a successful Mortal Kombat web series, Blue Ribbon’s new series will coincide with the release of the next game in the franchise. Mortal Kombat X. No other details are known about what characters or fatalities will be on display in the new series.
The untitled Mortal Kombat project, Justice League, and Play It Again, Dick all have series orders, while the other projects are currently in various stages of development.