Casting Net: 'Parenthood' actress Rosa Salazar joins 'Insurgent'
• Rosa Salazar (Parenthood) has joined the cast of Insurgent as Lynn. Currently filming in Atlanta, the Divergent follow-up from director Robert Schwentke (R.I.P.D.) will again star Shailene Woodley (The Fault in Our Stars), Theo James (Underworld: Awakening), Miles Teller (The Spectacular Now), Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars), Kate Winslet (Labor Day), Jai Courtney (Jack Reacher), and Zoe Kravitz (After Earth), as well as newcomers to the series Naomi Watts (The Impossible), Daniel Dae Kim (Lost), and Octavia Spencer (The Help). In the book, Lynn is described as a bitter Dauntless-born initiate with a shaved head, eyebrow piercing, a tough attitude, and a mischievous sense of humor. The sequel is scheduled for a March 20, 2015, release. [THR]
• Gabourey Sidibe (Precious), Ian McShane (Deadwood), David Harewood (Homeland), and English comedian Johnny Vegas have all joined the cast of Sacha Baron Cohen‘s upcoming spy comedy Grimsby. Directed by Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me), the film follows a British spy (Mark Strong) who must go on the run with his English football player hooligan brother (Baron Cohen). Phil Johnston (Cedar Rapids) and Peter Baynham (Borat) co-wrote the script with Baron Cohen. No word yet on who the quartet will be playing in the film. [THR]
• Dane Cook (Good Luck Chuck) will show a more serious side as star and executive producer of 400 Days, a sci-fi thriller from writer/director Matt Osterman (Ghost From the Machine). The film follows four astronauts locked away for 400 days on a simulated mission to test the psychological effects of deep space travel. In addition to Cook, the cast will include Brandon Routh (Superman Returns), Caity Lotz (Arrow), Ben Feldman (Mad Men), Tom Cavanagh (Ed), and Grant Bowler (Liz & Dick). [Deadline]
• Dave Franco (Neighbors) will star with his brother James Franco in The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room about the cult favorite film The Room by Tommy Wiseau. Dave will play actor Greg Sestero, who co-wrote the book on which the film, often considered one of the worst of all-time, is based, while James will play Wiseau himself. Dave confirmed the news at a screening of The Room with Wiseau in attendance. [Variety]
• Rapper and actor Ice Cube (Ride Along) has cast his son O’Shea Jackson Jr. to play him in Universal’s biopic Straight Outta Compton, about the iconic and genre-defining hip-hop group N.W.A. F. Gary Gray (Be Cool) will direct the dramatic story following the successful and controversial careers of Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, DJ Yella, Arabian Prince, and MC Rein. Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, and Tomica Woods-Wright, Eazy-E’s widow, are all producers on the film and all have final casting approval. [The Wrap]
• Lolita Davidovich (Gods and Monsters) will play the protective mother of Scott Eastwood (Trouble With the Curve) in The Longest Ride, based on the Nicholas Sparks novel of the same name. Directed by George Tillman Jr., the film tells the story of an elderly man trapped in his car after an accident, reflecting on his life as it intertwines with the young love story of a college student and a cowboy. Craig Bolotin (Salem Falls), Brad Desch (Fathers and Daughters), Scott Neustadter ((500) Days of Summer), and Michael Weber (The Fault in Our Stars) all adapted the screenplay from Sparks’ 17th romance novel. [THR]