Casting Net: Robert De Niro joins Robert Pattinson in 'Idol's Eye'
Men of Granite
• Robert De Niro (The Bag Man) will star opposite Robert Pattinson (The Rover) in Olivier Assayas (Paris, je t’aime) upcoming indie action flick, Idol’s Eye. While plot details are being kept firmly under wraps, the film is being described as a “sophisticated heist/action thriller” and is set to begin principal photography in October in Chicago and Toronto.
• Johnny Depp (Black Mass) is reportedly in negotiations to star as Harry Houdini in Lionsgate/Summit’s upcoming film, The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America’s First Superhero. Directed by Red 2‘s Dean Parisot and based on the book by William Kalush and Larry Soloman, the pic paints the iconic escape artist and magician as an investigator of the world of the occult. [The Hollywood Reporter]
• Shirely MacLaine (Wild Oats) is in talks to star in the sports drama Men of Granite. Based on the book by Dan Manoyan, the film is set in the 1940s and is based on the true story of a group of poor, immigrant high school boys, who, against all odds, rose above the prejudice in their small hometown in Illinois and went on to win the 1940 state championship in basketball. MacLaine is in talks to play the role of Sophia Prather, a school teacher who watches over the boys and encourages them to play the sport. [Deadline]
• Melanie Griffith (Hawaii Five-O) will star opposite Alessandro Nivola (American Hustle), Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel), and Evan Rachel Wood (A Case of You) in upcoming true-crime film, Facing The Wind. Helmed by documentary director Joe Berlinger and based on the book by Julie Salamon, the film tells the story of Bob Rowe, a New York lawyer and family man who killed his wife and three children in 1978. [Variety]
• Bianca Santos (The Fosters) will star opposite Parenthood‘s Mae Whitman in The DUFF. Based on the book by Kody Keplinger, the film tells the story of high school senior Bianca (Whitman) who discovers she has been labeled as the DUFF (designated ugly fat friend) of her circle of friends. Santos will play Whitman’s best friend, Casey Cordero in the pic, which is set to start filming in Atlanta in June. [Variety]
• Marwan Kenzari (Penoza) will star opposite X-Men: Days of Future Past‘s Nicholas Hoult and Ben Kingsley (Iron Man 3) in Shifty director Eran Creevy‘s Autobahn. Also starring Anthony Hopkins (Solace) and Felicity Jones (The Amazing Spider-Man 2), the thriller follows an American couple traveling in Germany who suddenly find themselves caught between two menacing criminals. [Variety]
• Zoe Lister-Jones (Lola Versus) has joined the ensemble cast of upcoming political thriller, Food from a script the actress co-wrote with her husband and fellow Lola Versus writer/director Daryl Wein. The film tells the story of a single mother who tries to uncover the cause of her son’s mysterious illness, and will explore the debate over whether eating GMOs (genetically modified organisms) is healthy or not. Food, which began filming in Illinois on Tuesday, also stars The Big Bang Theory‘s Kunal Nayyar, ER‘s Anthony Edwards, Victor Garber (Argo), Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon), Griffin Dunne (Dallas Buyers Club), and Beth Grant (No Country for Old Men). [The Hollywood Reporter]
Men of Granite