Casting Net: Daniel Radcliffe runs toward 'You Shall Know Our Velocity'
• Daniel Radcliffe is attached to star in You Shall Know Our Velocity, based on Dave Eggers‘ best-seller, which tells the story of a a pair of friends — one bookish and awkward and one who fancies himself a ladies man — who resolve to scatter their friend’s ashes among the pyramids. They also decide to give away the $32K insurance payout that they got after their friend was killed to anyone in need. Peter Sollett (Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist) is set to direct the pic, which is eyeing a spring 2015 shoot. Author Wells Tower adapted the script. [THR]
• Bradley Cooper and Hangover director Todd Phillips are set to team up for Arms & the Dudes under their new production banner. Based on a Rolling Stone article, the movie will follow two Miami stoners who become arms dealers for the government. Jonah Hill may also join the cast. [THR]
• Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids) will star opposite Owen Wilson and Zach Galifianakis in an untitled heist comedy from Napoleon Dynamite director Jared Hess. Based on a true story about a group of Southerners who pull off a $20 million armored car heist, Wiig will play Galifianakis’ manipulative crush who gets him to join in on her robbery plan. Wiig can be heard next in How to Train Your Dragon 2 (out June 13), and then, on Sept. 19, Lionsgate and Roadside will release her Sundance drama Skeleton Twins, which co-stars Bill Hader. [THR]
• Nicolas Cage has boarded The Runner, a political drama about a New Orleans congressman dealing with the aftermath of a sex scandal and the BP oil spill. Producer Austin Stark will make his writing and directing debut on the project. Stark said in a statement: “For my first film as a director, I’m honored to be working alongside one of the finest living actors, Nicolas Cage. The Runner, a contemporary political drama, is new and exciting territory for Mr. Cage. I have no doubt he’s going to deliver a powerful and poignant performance, as relevant as the film itself.”
• Djimon Hounsou (Gladiator) and Alexis Knapp (Pitch Perfect) will co-star in writer-director Murali Thalluri‘s post-apocalyptic drama One about the interracial fighting that breaks out after 99 percent of humans are killed off. [THR]