Guy Pearce in talks to join Johnny Depp in 'Black Mass'
• Guy Pearce (Iron Man 3) is currently in talks to star opposite Johnny Depp (Transcendence) in Warner Bros. upcoming crime drama, Black Mass. The film tells the story of famed Boston mob boss and FBI informant, Whitey Bulger (Depp), who uses his double status as a way of picking off any criminal competition. Pearce is currently in talks to play Bulger’s brother on the project which is being produced by Warner Bros. and Cross Creek. [Variety]
• Joseph Fiennes (Shakespeare In Love) is set to star opposite Nicole Kidman (The Railway Man) in the upcoming drama thriller, Strangerland. Fiennes will take over the lead role from Guy Pearce (Iron Man 3) who dropped out of the project. The film revolves around a couple whose teenage children go missing in the Outback of Australia. [Deadline]
• Parks and Recreation‘s Aubrey Plaza will star in My America director Hal Hartley‘s upcoming dark comedy, Ned Rifle. The upcoming film is the final installment in Hartley’s Henry Fool trilogy which began in 1997. Plaza will play Susan, Henry Fool’s long-lost flame, scheduled to begin filming in New York City this April. [Variety]
• X-Men‘s Famke Janssen will reprise her role as Lenore in the third-installment of the Taken series, Taken 3. Janssen will join fellow returning co-stars Liam Neeson (The Lego Movie) and Maggie Grace (Lost) who will also reprise their roles as Bryan Mills and Kim, respectively. [Deadline]
• J.K. Simmons (Growing Up Fisher) is currently in talks to join the cast of Terminator: Genesis. If cast, Simmons will play a weary detective with an alcohol addiction who has been following a bizarre case involving Sarah Connor (Game of Thrones‘s Emilia Clarke) and robots over the course of three decades. The reboot, which will thread multiple plot points together from the original series, also stars Jai Courtney (Divergent) and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who will reprise his iconic role as the Terminator. [The Hollywood Reporter]
• X-Men: First Class‘ Nicholas Hoult will star in upcoming Iraqi war drama, Sand Castle. Written by Chris Roessner, the film is based on true events which tells the story of Roessner’s own two years working as a machine gunner in Iraq’s Sunni Triangle. Hoult will play Matt Ocre, a platoon leader who, along with his fellow sergeant, attempts to protect the dangerous farming village of Baqubah. [The Hollywood Reporter]