Casting Net: Jesse Plemons auditioning for 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
• Breaking Bad and Friday Night Lights alum Jesse Plemons is the latest name to emerge in the Star Wars: Episode VII casting rumor mill. According to The Wrap, Plemons is flying to Los Angeles to audition for director J.J. Abrams for the highly secretive Disney/Lucasfilm project, which is scheduled for a Dec. 18, 2015, release. Franchise originals Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill are all expected to return, but the cast still remains a mystery. Other recent rumors have included Chiwetel Ejiofor, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Sullivan Stapleton. [The Wrap]
• NCIS vet Code De Pablo has joined The 33, which tells the tale of the 33 Chilean miners who were trapped underground for 69 days in 2010. Patricia Riggen (Girl In Progress) is directing the ensemble cast that also includes Martin Sheen, Antonio Banderas, Rodrigo Santoro, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Juliette Binoche. [Deadline]
• Kristen Wiig and Alexander Skarsgard will co-star in The Diary of a Teenage Girl, a coming-of-age tale about a teen girl in the ’70s who starts an affair with her mother’s boyfriend. Based on Phoebe Gloeckner’s graphic novel, Marielle Heller will make her directorial debut on the project, which she wrote and prepared in conjunction with the Sundance Institute’s Directors and Screenwriters Labs. British actress Bel Powley will star as the teen. [THR]
• Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect) will star alongside Amanda Seyfried (Les Miserables) in He’s F-ing Perfect, a story about a woman who convinces her friend to ditch her boyfriend so that she can move in on him. Jake Szymanski, who has directed an episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and often contributes to Funny or Die, will direct. [Variety]
• Ethan Hawke and Asa Butterfield will play father and son in Ten Thousand Saints, an adaptation of Eleanor Henderson’s novel about the 1987 East Village Punk scene. Hailee Steinfeld, who appeared with Butterfield in Ender’s Game, also stars. American Splendor directing team Bob Pulcini and Shari Berman are helming. [Variety]
• Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Magic City) has signed on to Jonas Cuaron’s (Alfonso’s son and Gravity co-writer) thriller Desierto, starring Gael Garcia Bernal. [THR]
• Kristin Scott Thomas has joined The Kitchen Boy, an adaptation of Robert Alexander’s novel about the final weeks of the Romanov reign in Russia. Thomas will play Alexandra Romanov in the Stefan Ruzowitzky-directed pic. [THR]