'Love & Hip Hop New York' season 4 premiere: 5 things we learned
Love and Hip Hop
It’s back! Love & Hip Hop New York returns to the small screen with another season of drama. The VH1 reality series returns for its fourth season with catfights, music, and new castmembers. There’s a love triangle brewing, an Atlanta girl who’s got big-city dreams, and a few relationships that are put through the fire.
The series, which chronicles relationships within the music industry, returns with new stories from music executive Yandy Smith and Mendeecees Harris, models Erica Mena, Tahiry Jose, and rapper Joe Budden, along with some new faces: Tara Wallace, Erica Jean, Amina Buddafly, Nya, rapper Peter Gunz, and Love & Hip Hop Atlanta favorite K. Michelle. Here’s five things we learned from the season premiere:
1. It’s a hard-knock, but fabulous, life for Yandy Smith: Yandy is tough. Her fiancé, Mendeecees, is incarcerated, and she’s left with two children to take care of, along with several fledgling businesses. It must have been a tearjerker for Yandy when her stepson asked whether his dad is really in prison. Plus: Even though he’s in jail, Yandy didn’t hesitate to call Mendeecees’ bluff about not holding up his end of the relationship.
2. Peter Gunz and Tara Wallace are the new Stevie J and Mimi Faust: Remember Peter Gunz? Well, he’s half of the group Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz, responsible for the hit “Deja Vu,” and he’s back in the music industry as a manager. He lives with the mother of his two children, Tara Wallace, whom he’s dated for more than 13 years. However, he has an ongoing affair on the side with a singer, Amina, who he also manages. Classic case of “when business mixed with pleasure goes wrong.” Sounds like the relationship of another franchise under the Love & Hip Hop umbrella, right?
3. Joe Budden and Tahiry are back together: The tables have turned for the better in the tumultuous relationship between rapper Joe Budden and model Tahiry. Last season, Tahiry really shook things up, so it will be quite interesting to see how things play out.
4. K. Michelle is in a New York State of Mind: Like Mary Tyler Moore, soul singer K. Michelle is going to make it after all! The Love & Hip Hop Atlanta alum has packed up her things to move on up North to live her major-label dreams. Now with a new location and new mind-set, we’ll just have to wait and see if K. Michelle will turn the other cheek to drama or stay true to her Rebellious Soul ways.
5. Amina has no shame: Amina really has taken the term “love of my life” to a whole new level with a tattoo of Mrs. Pankey — Peter Gunz’s real last name — inked on her abdomen. Does she not care about Peter Gunz’s family? Doesn’t she know her behavior is aired out for everyone to see?
There’s drama, there’s love, and more drama, but this season looks like it will fill the void left by Love & Hip Hop Atlanta. Will you be tuning in Mondays at 8 p.m. on VH1?