Casting Net: Josh Brolin may lead 'Jurassic World'
• One-time Oscar nominee Josh Brolin (Milk) is reportedly in talks to star in Jurassic World, the fourth installment in the dinosaur franchise. Jurassic World has a release date (July 12, 2015), a director (Safety Not Guaranteed‘s Colin Trevorrow), a script in the works, and a few cast members (Bryce Dallas Howard and Iron Man 3‘s Ty Simpkins), but little else is known about the plot or the characters. Brolin has a number of projects scheduled for release this and next year, including Jason Reitman’s Labor Day, Spike Lee’s English-language remake of Oldboy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, and Paul Thomas Anderson’s adaptation of Thomas Pynchon’s Inherent Vice. [Deadline]
• Jurassic Park 1.0 star Laura Dern has joined the cast of Wild, the big-screen adaptation of Cheryl Strayed‘s best-selling memoir for director Jean-Marc Vallée (Dallas Buyers Club). She’ll star alongside Reese Witherspoon, as her mother who died years before. Dern recently wrapped work on the YA adaptation The Fault in Our Stars, where she plays the mother of the cancer-stricken heroine. [Deadline]
• Olga Kurylenko (To the Wonder, Oblivion) has been cast in Russell Crowe’s directorial debut, The Water Diviner, about a father who goes searching for his sons after they go missing in action in Turkey during World War II. [The Wrap]
• American Horror Story‘s Lily Rabe will play Bobby Fischer’s (Tobey Maguire) sister in Pawn Sacrifice, the Edward Zwick-directed biopic of the chess prodigy. [Deadline]
• Pacific Rim‘s Rinko Kikuchi will star in Last Summer about a woman trapped on a yacht amidst a custody battle for her child. Italian director Leonardo Guerra Seragnoli is set to helm the English-language indie. [Variety]
• Child star Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense) is back in the acting game after attending college at NYU and will star in Kevin Smith‘s Tusk with Justin Long, and Max Landis‘ Me Him Her with Geena Davis, Scott Bakula, and Alia Shawkat. [Deadline]