Casting Net: Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Paul Rudd up for 'Ant-Man'
• With the Avengers largely assembled it’s easy to forget that there are still a few Marvel roles that remain un-cast, including director Edgar Wright‘s Ant-Man. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Don Jon) and Paul Rudd (This Is 40) are reportedly in talks to take on the superhero role for the feature, which already has a July 31, 2015, release date set. Gordon-Levitt, 32, already has some comic book clout, having appeared in The Dark Knight Rises (a DC property). This would be a departure for Rudd, 44, who has tended toward mid-size comedies and smaller dramas for most of his career. [Variety]
• Bill Murray (Moonrise Kingdom) may have a new collaboration on the horizon. The famously hard-to-reach with actor is in talks to join Cameron Crowe‘s latest film. The untitled, Hawaii-set comedy stars Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, and Alec Baldwin, among others. [The Wrap]
• Ty Simpkins, who held his own against the likes of Robert Downey Jr. in full charm offensive mode in Iron Man 3, has been cast as the lead in Jurassic World. The secretive project, set for a 3-D release on June 12, 2015, will be directed by Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed). [Deadline]
• Fast & Furious 6 star Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson may take on an earthquake in New Line’s San Andreas about a helicopter pilot who journeys to save his daughter after a catastrophic California earthquake. If the deal closes, Johnson will re-team with his Journey 2: The Mysterious Island director Brad Peyton for the movie. [THR]
• Russell Crowe (Man of Steel) will star in Fathers and Daughters, a Black List script that will alternate between the present and the 1980s to tell the story of a troubled novelist raising his daughter in Manhattan. Italian helmer Gabriele Muccino (The Pursuit of Happyness) will direct. [The Wrap]
• Sex and the City‘s John Corbett has joined the thriller The Boy Next Door, in which Jennifer Lopez has an affair with the 17-year-old boy next door. Corbett will play her ex-husband. [Deadline]
• Morgan Saylor, a Homeland regular, will play Kevin Costner and Maria Bello‘s daughter in McFarland about the surprise success of a rag tag track team in California under Costner’s character’s leadership. [Deadline]