Casting Net: Jim Sturgess, Sam Worthington, Milla Jovovich, more
• Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas), Sam Worthington (Avatar), and Ryan Kwanten (True Blood) have signed on to join the cast of Kidnapping Freddy Heineken, starring Anthony Hokpins as the kidnapped beer heir. Daniel Alfredson (The Girl Who Played with Fire) is set to direct the true story of the 1983 kidnapping of Heineken and his chauffeur which resulted in the largest ransom ever paid for an individual at that point (about $50 million today).
• Randall Park (Colin on The Mindy Project) and Timothy Simons (Jonah on Veep) have joined the cast of Seth Rogen’s comedy The Interview about a talk show host (James Franco) and his producer (Rogen) who somehow get involved in an attempt to assassinate the Prime Minister of North Korea (Park). Simons will play the director of the talk show. [THR]
• Two-time Oscar nominee Emily Watson (Hilary and Jackie) has joined the Stephen Hawking biopic The Theory of Everything, starring Eddie Redmayne (Les Miserables) as the famed physicist and Felicity Jones (Like Crazy) as Jane Wilde. James Marsh (Man on Wire) is directing. [Variety]
• Jason Isaacs (Awake) will play a captain in David Ayer’s WWII Sherman Tank flick Fury, starring Brad Pitt, Shia LaBoeuf, Logan Lerman and Michael Pena. The film is currently shooting in London. [THR]
• Milla Jovovich, Pierce Brosnan, Emma Thompson, and Angela Bassett have boarded V for Vendetta director James McTeigue’s Survivor about a State Department staffer (Jovovich) who must try to stop a terrorist attack scheduled to hit Times Square on New Year’s Eve. [Deadline]
• Big Time Rush star Carlos Pena will play a leading role in Pantelion Films’ La Vida Robot, which also stars George Lopez. The story is based on Joshua Davis’s Wired magazine article about a group of undocumented Mexican-American high school students who compete in a national robotics competition. Sean McNamara (Soul Surfer) is set to direct. [THR]