Casting Net: Hugh Jackman teams up with Neill Blomkamp
• Hugh Jackman (The Wolverine) may take on an antagonist role in Neill Blomkamp’s next venture Chappie. The Elysium director has also recruited Sharlto Copley and Dev Patel to tell the story of a robot who gets abducted by two gangsters angling to use it for their own illegal needs. The Les Miserables star confirmed his involvement during a press conference for his recently released Prisoners, and will be traveling to South Africa to film his scenes at the beginning of next year. Jackman can be seen next in X-Men: Days of Future Past (out May 23). [ScreenDaily]
• Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer will re-team with Tate Taylor, who directed both actresses in The Help, for his James Brown biopic Get On Up starring 42’s Chadwick Boseman. Davis will play Brown’s mother, and Spencer will take on the role of Aunt Honey, who helped raise the burgeoning music legend. Both Davis and Spencer picked up Oscar noms for their performances in The Help in the lead and supporting categories, but only Spencer walked away with the award for Supporting Actress. [Deadline]
• Eva Longoria (Desperate Housewives) is set to star in Demian Bichir‘s directorial debut Refugio about a boy born into the circus who spends his life searching for his true love. A variety of actors will portray the lead, including Bichir. Longoria will portray a heartbroken acrobat. [Deadline]
• Prometheus star Logan Marshall-Green and Downton Abbey‘s Laura Carmichael have joined the cast of Madame Bovary, which also boasts Mia Wasikowska, Paul Giamatti, Ezra Miller, and Rhys Ifans. Sophie Barthes (Cold Souls) is directing the adaptation of Gustave Flaubert’s literary classic.
• Dexter‘s David Zayas will play a bodega owner with a crush on Miss Hannigan (Cameron Diaz) in Will Gluck‘s adaptation of Annie. [THR]