'Vampire Diaries' Candice Accola to narrate Kami Garcia's 'Unbreakable'
Kami Garcia, best-selling co-author of the Beautiful Creatures series, takes on ghosts in her new paranormal thriller, Unbreakable (out Oct. 1). So who better to narrate the audiobook of Unbreakable than someone very familiar with all things paranormal? Candice Accola, who plays Caroline on The Vampire Diaries, has been tapped to read Garcia’s newest novel. “I can’t begin to describe how exited I am to have Candice Accola reading the audiobook version of Unbreakable, the first book in my new series, the Legion,” Garcia said. “I’m a huge Vampire Diaries fan, and Caroline is by far my favorite character because of Accola’s ability to show vulnerability without ever compromising strength or independence.” Check out this exclusive clip of Accola reading Unbreakable after the jump.
UP NEXT: Kami Garcia chooses her top 10 horror novels…
And if the Candice Accola news wasn’t fun enough, Garcia decided to share her top 10 horror novels in honor of the Oct. 1 release of Unbreakable. Check out the list—and the applicable EW original reviews—here:
1. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill “You’ll think twice about buying a haunted suit or anything else in an online auction after you read Hill’s rendition of a battle between an aging rocker and a malevolent spirit. Sometimes it’s worth paying full price.”
2. White Crow by Marcus Sedgwick “A town crumbling into the sea, a mysterious and disturbing young girl, a rectory with a dark past, and the answer to the question ‘what lies on the other side of death?'”
3. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs “What if the bizarre stories your grandfather told you as a child were true, and you discovered the photographs that proved it? Between the found photos included in the book and the vivid prose, Riggs will make you a believer.”
4. The Witching Hour by Anne Rice “This decadent Southern gothic takes you from Scotland and Haiti to a decaying mansion in New Orleans, as Rice chronicles the lives of a powerful family of witches. I admit that I wanted to be a Mayfair witch for years after reading this.”
5. Sunshine by Robin McKinley “When Sunshine finds herself chained in an abandoned ballroom with a half-starved vampire, she uses her magical gifts to rescue them both. What happens next will make you fall in love with a vampire.”
6. Cabal by Clive Barker “Meet the Nightbreed—dead souls with shape-shifting abilities who feel more real than most of the monsters you meet in fiction. Read this one with the lights on.”
7. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black “In a world where vampires live in quarantined cities called Coldtowns, some people are desperate to join the never-ending party inside. But like the Hotel California: ‘You can check in anytime you want, but you can never leave.'”
8. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson “When a respectable doctor literally unleashes his dark side. This book gives new meaning to personal demons.”
9. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury “A traveling carnival run by a sinister character named Mr. Dark. Let me repeat: horror + traveling carnival. Need I say more?
10. The Shining by Stephen King “If you liked the film, Stephen King’s book is so much better. A remote hotel, a young boy with a psychic gift called “the shine,” and a father on the brink, are three of the many reasons to pick up a copy.
The Vampire Diaries
Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, and Paul Wesley star in the CW’s romance-infused vampire soap opera.