Happy birthday, John Slattery!
TV’s favorite silver fox (though he loathes the term) turns a suave 51 today.
Though Slattery has cemented his place in TV drama history with his portrayal of the adman on the AMC show, he was already a prolific TV-series presence with small roles pre-Mad on shows like Party of Five, Will and Grace, and Law & Order. With that perma-white hair and undeniable charisma, it’s no wonder he’s been typecast in roles of power and prestige, armed with a stiff drink and a rotating bevy of younger women — who could complain? To celebrate, here’s are some of our five favorite Silver Fox moments:
1. Slattery plays Victor Lang, a mayoral candidate and the subject of Gabrielle Solis’ (Eva Longoria) affection and jealousy games on Desperate Housewives (season 3, episode 18).
2. As Carrie Bradshaw’s latest fling, he plays councilman Bill Kelley, a gorgeous politician who makes a strange request — for Carrie to pee on him in the shower (season 3, episode 2).
3. John as Roger Sterling, schooling Don Draper on the philosophy of the bottle on Mad Men (season 1, episode 4). “We drink because it’s what men do,” he preaches.
4. In Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, John plays Bert Miller, a Ford executive and dad to Katey Miller (Romola Garai).
5. And as Steven Austin, a larger-than-life congressional candidate, he needs a serious PR overhaul (Season 5, Episode 7).
Tell us in the comments, what are your favorite John Slattery scenes?
Jon Hamm stars as Don Draper in the Emmy-winning ’60s-set drama