Casting Net: Britt Robertson heads to 'Tomorrowland'
• Britt Robertson (Under the Dome) scored the lead in Disney’s Tomorrowland, alongside George Clooney and Hugh Laurie. The film — which will be directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles) and written by Bird, Damon Lindelof (Star Trek Into Darkness), and Entertainment Weekly’s own Jeff “Doc” Jensen — is about “a high school girl with an unconventional understanding of technology” who “is launched on a journey to reclaim her future,” according to a Disney press release. The movie is due December 12, 2014.
• Max Greenfield (New Girl) is officially back as Detective Leo! While the actor spilled the beans about his involvement in the upcoming Veronica Mars movie last month, director Rob Marshall sealed the deal in a Kickstarter backer email Thursday. “When I first reached out to Max about being in the movie, he said he’d do the movie for free and pay for his own travel,” Marshall wrote. “This is only one of the many reasons I love Max. It’s also why actors have agents. (Don’t worry, SAG! We are paying Max!)” Greenfield also recorded a video message for his fans before he started filming.
• Gina Carano (Haywire) is about to bring a comic book heroine to life. The former MMA fighter and comic book artist Rob Liefield are teaming up to bring Liefield’s Avengelyne to the big screen, The Hollywood Reporter revealed. The duo will meet with fans at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday. [THR]
• Charlie Hunnam is attached to the cop drama Triple Nine, with Christoph Waltz and Cate Blanchett also being eyed for roles. John Hillcoat (Lawless) will direct. [THR]
• Tom Sturridge (Broadway’s Orphans) will star alongside Carey Mulligan in Far From the Madding Crowd, an adaptation of the 1874 Thomas Hardy book. [Deadline]