Casting Net: 'The Giver' gets its Jonas; Plus, 'Veep' star heads to 'Inherent Vice,' more
• It’s been a while since we’ve heard any news about the film adaptation of Lois Lowry’s dystopian novel The Giver, but things are moving forward. Jeff Bridges has been attached to the project for over a year to play the Giver, and now, Brenton Thwaites has been cast as Jonas, the young boy chosen to be trained by the Giver. Thwaites has appeared on a number of Australian televisions show and is also portraying the Young Prince in Maleficent. Fans of the book will remember we meet Jonas just as he’s about to turn 12. Thwaites is already in his 20s. Phillip Noyce (Patriot Games) is set to direct the project for The Weinstein Company. Filming will commence in South Africa this fall. [Deadline]
• Veep fans know actor Timothy Simons as Jonah Ryan, the giant, goofy Presidential aide who manages to drive the Vice President and her staffers crazy. Those who don’t watch the show, however, probably wouldn’t be able to pick him out of a lineup. That may change soon. Paul Thomas Anderson has cast Simons in his adaptation of Inherent Vice, and he’ll also be appearing in Ivan Reitman’s football administration comedy Draft Day. [Deadline]
• Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook),Eileen Atkins (Cold Mountain), Marcia Gay Harden (Mystic River), Hamish Linklater (The Future), and Simon McBurney (The Last King of Scotland) all get to fly to the South of France to join Woody Allen’s as-yet untitled project. Emma Stone and Colin Firth were previously announced as the stars. Predictably, very little information is available about the plot of the film, but at least we know who, exactly, we can be jealous of this summer.
• Jon Stewart has cast Iranian actress Shohreh Aghdashloo in his directorial debut Rosewater. Aghdashloo was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in 2004’s House of Sand and Fog, and has had recent recurring roles on Grimm and The Mob Doctor. In Rosewater, she’ll play Moloojoon Bahari, the mother of Gael García Bernal’s character. [Deadline]
• Nicolas Cage is reportedly in talks to star in the independent film Lost Melody, about a married man who falls for a prostitute. But it’s ok! The man has a “shrewish wife.” Also, we don’t know whether or not the prostitute falls for him. Terry Zwigoff (Bad Santa) is directing the project. Cage can be seen next in David Gordon Green’s Joe and Scott Walker’s The Frozen Ground. [The Wrap]