Casting Net: Philip Seymour Hoffman in talks to join Tom Hardy pic; Plus, James Badge Dale, more
• Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman (for Capote) is in negotiations to join the Soviet thriller Child 44, based on Tom Rob Smith’s novel. Daniel Espinosa (Safe House) is directing the adaptation with a script from Richard Price (Ransom). The terrific cast includes Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, Gary Oldman, and Joel Kinnaman. Hoffman’s next projects include The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, where he’ll play Plutarch Heavensbee, Anton Corbijn’s A Most Wanted Man with Rachel McAdams and Robin Wright, and God’s Pocket, directed by Mad Men’s John Slattery. [Deadline]
• James Badge Dale may not be a household name just yet, but he is in three of the summer season’s biggest releases: Iron Man 3, World War Z, and The Lone Ranger. He’s also just joined Patrick Wilson, Ed Helms, and Chris Pine in the action-comedy Stretch from Blumhouse Productions and Universal Pictures. It will reunite him with Joe Carnahan who directed him in The Grey. He’ll also be appearing in the JFK assassination drama Parkland. [Variety]
• Josh Helman (Jack Reacher) has joined the cast of X-Men: Days of Future Past, which is currently filming. The report doesn’t specify his role, but Helman is likely going to just get more familiar to moviegoers. He can be seen next in Mad Max: Fury Road. [The Wrap]
• Kara Hayward just can’t find a happy movie family. The young actress made her debut in Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom as Suzy, a girl dealing with her knowledge of her mother’s affair. Now, she’s signed on to play Etta in the independent film Quitters, about a girl whose parents divorce just as she’s starting high school. Directed by Noah Pritzker, who directed the SXSW selected short Little Dad, Mira Sorvino (Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion), and Greg Germann (Ally McBeal) also star. [Deadline]
• Kate Walsh, whose most high-profile roles have been on television shows like Grey’s Anatomy and the spinoff focused around her character, Private Practice, is joining the independent thriller Dermaphoria. Joseph Morgan (The Vampire Diaries), Ron Perlman (Drive), and Walton Goggins (Django Unchained) also star. [Deadline]
Follow Lindsey on Twitter: @ldbahr.