Casting Net: Idris Elba in talks for Sean Penn action pic; Plus, 'Veronica Mars' updates, more
• Idris Elba (Prometheus) is in talks to join Sean Penn and Javier Bardem in the action flick The Gunman. Taken‘s Pierre Morel is set to direct the project about what happens when an international operative is betrayed by his organization. Elba’s being considered for the role of Dupont, vaguely described as a “mysterious operative.” The story is based on Jean-Patrick Manchette‘s novel The Prone Gunman. [THR]
• Ray Winstone (The Departed) has also joined The Gunman. He’ll play a mentor to Penn’s character. [Deadline]
• Krysten Ritter (Breaking Bad) is officially in for the Veronica Mars movie, according to a Kickstarter update. She’ll be reprising her role as Gia Goodman, who fans will remember from Season 2. The Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 actress even wrote an enthusiastic message to the Kickstarter backers: “Veronica Mars has a special place in my heart because it was my first big acting job (!!!!!!) and it was also one of the most lovely on-set experiences you could ever ask for. This will truly be an awesome shoot, not only because we all get to be reunited (can’t WAIT!) but because of the revolutionary way this all was able to come to life!” Brandon Hillock (Deputy Sacks), Kevin Sheridan (Sean Friedrich), and Jonathan Chesner (Corny) have joined the cast as well.
• On the Road star Sam Riley has joined the cast of Suite Française, the World War II drama based on Irène Némirovsky’s novel. Michelle Williams (Take This Waltz), Matthais Schoenaerts (Rust & Bone), and Kristin Scott Thomas (Only God Forgives) also star, with Saul Dibb (The Duchess) set to direct. Riley recently wrapped Maleficent with Angelina Jolie. [Deadline]
• Marley & Me actress Haley Bennett is joining Denzel Washington, Chloe Moretz, and Melissa Leo in The Equalizer, Sony’s re-imagining of the CBS series about a former military intelligence agent who uses his skills to help civilians. Bennett will also be appearing in Terrence Malick’s still-untitled Austin-set project, with Rooney Mara, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling and Michael Fassbender. But, as with many Malick projects, we won’t know whether her part actually makes it to the screen till it hits theaters. [Deadline]
• Vampire Diaries actor Joseph Morgan will join Ron Perlman (Drive) in an adaptation of Craig Clevenger‘s novel Dermaphoria. Documentary filmmaker Ross Clarke adapted the script and will direct the project for his narrative feature directorial debut. The report describes the story as “Memento meets Breaking Bad.” [THR]
PREVIOUSLY: Arnold Schwarzenegger back for ‘Terminator 5’
Follow Lindsey on Twitter: @ldbahr.