By Jason Clark
May 13, 2013 at 02:26 PM EDT
Joan Marcus

Jekyll and Hyde

  • TV Show

The Tony noms are out, and the closing casualties are beginning. The Constantine Maroulis/Deborah Cox-starring Jekyll & Hyde seized its final moment on Sunday, and the nommed, Alec Baldwin-led play Orphans will close on May 19 after mere weeks on the boards. (A displeased Mr. Baldwin had something to say about that this week).

But there’s still plenty of product vying for your bucks, including a slew of new Off-Broadway productions this week, from topics ranging from classical ballet to avant-garde romance to Walt Disney. Plus, The Good Wife’s Christine Baranski and a group of spirited hoofers revive On Your Toes (where you can get a rare chance to see the dance benchmark “Slaughter on Tenth Avenue” in its full glory). Click on the links below to read the full reviews:

Nikolai and the Others  The power team of writer Richard Nelson (James Joyce’s The Dead) and director David Cromer (Tribes) take on Balanchine, Stravinsky, and assorted parties at a 1948 Connecticut retreat. Did reviewer Thom Geier find it a pleasant stay? “There are hints of conflict that pop up in … but they never rise to the level of dramatic conflict … too little happens to justify the hefty during 2 hour, 35 minute production running time.” EW grade: C

Old Fashioned Prostitutes (A True Romance)  Avant-garde provocateur Richard Foreman comes out of retirement to mount his latest fever dream at the Public. Is it a nice dream or a nightmare? I felt it was more the latter and many others might too: “As ever, about 7 percent of the audience will feel vaguely enlightened and stimulated, and the rest of the philistines in the remaining 93 percent will look vaguely quizzical and slightly pained.” EW grade: C-

On Your Toes Thom Geier checked out the final offering of the Encores! City Center musical series (closing on Sunday), starring Christine Baranski, returning to her theater roots after a short absence. Did it get his toes tappin’? He says “Traditional ballet blend seamlessly with tap and soft-shoe dancing by the rest of the cast, particularly in the show-stopping title number that highlights the second act.”

A Public Reading of an Unproduced Screenplay About the Death of Walt Disney  Lucas Hnath’s new play centers around (a very loosely based) Walt Disney’s efforts to have a self-penned screenplay read aloud. Uncle Walt may not be portrayed as cuddly here, but did Thom Geier warm to the production? “Hnath’s new play won’t be performed on Orlando’s Main Street USA anytime soon,” but adds, “in its darkly comic dissection of an all-American icon, this Public Reading is no Mickey Mouse production.” EW grade: B+

Read more:

Broadway box office: Despite Tony snub, Bette Midler sees big boost in ticket sales

EW Stage Hub

Jekyll and Hyde

  • TV Show
  • In Season
Complete Coverage
  • Jekyll and Hyde