While one gets the feeling that Arnold Schwarzenegger's new memoir, ''Total Recall'' (co-written with Peter Petre), is more ''tell-some'' than ''tell-all,'' the action star and former California governor does reveal some interesting tidbits about his long, improbable life and career. Here are five that caught our eye.
1. Although he’s famous for driving Hummers, Schwarzenegger wasn’t always the best driver. Not only did he get into a car accident upon arriving in L.A., he had another mishap while in the Austrian army: ”I’d set the tank in motion and was pushing it through the garage wall.”
2. Schwarzenegger got a little too into the sex scenes while filming 1982’s Conan the Barbarian. ”No one in acting class ever talks about what to do in a nude scene when you really get excited,” he writes. ”They say you should stay in character, but that’s not really what they want, trust me.”
3. He admits he had ”a hot affair” with Brigitte Nielsen on the set of 1985’s Red Sonja, even though he was already in a relationship with Maria Shriver (whom he married in 1986). Shortly after wrapping production on Red Sonja, Nielsen began dating his rival Sylvester Stallone.
4. When he was considering a run for governor of California in 2003, GOP operative Karl Rove told him that his victory ”will never happen” and introduced him to the candidate they would be backing in 2006: Condoleezza Rice. ”’What an a–hole,”’ he recalls thinking of Rove.
5. The morning after he left office in 2011, Shriver confronted him about the child he had fathered with their housekeeper of 20 years, Mildred Baena. In the book, Schwarzenegger offers a mea culpa, and writes: ”I still have the hope that Maria and I can come back together as husband and wife.”