Ashley Tisdale, Elijah Wood, Johnny Galecki: New projects in Casting Net
• Here’s something you don’t see every day. Director Woody Allen announced today that he’s cast comedians Louis C.K. and Andrew Dice Clay in his latest, untitled film, which will be shot in New York and San Francisco. The stand-ups will join Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett, Bobby Cannavale, Michael Emerson, Sally Hawkins, and Peter Sarsgaard.
• Frankly, it’s surprising it took this long for a High School Musical alum to do a movie like this. Ashley Tisdale will play the lead in the horror flick parody Scary Movie 5. Malcolm D. Lee (Soul Men) will direct. [Deadline]
• A small town pawn shop in the American South will be the nexus for the impressive ensemble cast writer-director Wayne Kramer (The Cooler, Running Scared) has assembled for his black comedy Pawn Shop Chronicles. Joining actor-producer Paul Walker: Matt Dillon, Elijah Wood, Brendan Fraser, Vincent D’Onofrio, Thomas Jane, Norman Reedus, Ashlee Simpson, Lukas Haas, Chi McBride, DJ Qualls, Michael Cudlitz, Pell James, and Kevin Rankin. Phew! [Deadline]
• The Big Bang Theory star Johnny Galecki, Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins, and actress Mickey Sumner (The Borgias) have all joined CBGB, about the renown New York punk rock club. Galecki will play band manager Terry Ork; Hawkins will play Iggy Pop; and Sumner will play Patti Smith. They join Alan Rickman (as club owner Hilly Crystal), Malin Akerman (as Debbie Harry), and Rupert Grint (as guitarist Cheetah Chrome). Randall Miller (Bottle Shock) will direct. [Deadline, THR, Variety]
• Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief) and Douglas Booth (The Pillars of the Earth) have been cast in director Darren Aronofsky‘s Biblical epic Noah as Noah’s sons Ham and Shem, respectively. Russell Crowe will play the famed ark builder. [Deadline]