'The Voice': Obsessed with Australia's show
The Voice has become a ratings hit Down Under, where its inaugural Aussie incarnation, currently in the battle rounds, features coaches Keith Urban, Seal, Joel Madden, and Delta Goodrem. We all know the blind auditions and battle rounds are the most fun part of the show, which is why I’m currently obsessed with The Voice Australia’s YouTube page, which is loaded with clips (that, sadly, are not all playable in the U.S. — boo!). Here are five reasons you should follow suit:
1. Urban makes the best faces, ever. Behold the blind audition for Karise Eden, who got all four coaches to turn around before she even finished the first line of “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World,” below. She eventually chose Seal. Maybe because she didn’t know that look on Urban’s face, pictured, was actually a good one?
Urban’s this is beautiful look of longing is easier to read at the end of Brittany Cairns’ blind audition of “Gravity.” She chose him.
2. Seal’s yellow nail polish. Truly, you think nothing could distract you from those biceps, but then… How does he make it work?
3. The coaches’ enthusiasm. I’d argue these coaches are more expressive than their U.S. counterparts in general. I love seeing Seal hop up during Mitchell and Fatai’s “Love the Way You Lie” battle. Spoiler alert: She won. And the other coaches are sorry Seal was the only one who turned around during her blind audition above.
Seal’s got so little a poker face, Madden successfully read his uncharacteristically staid expression during Prinnie Stevens’ blind audition of “Sweet Dreams” as Seal not wanting Madden to turn around because she’s Nicole Scherzinger hot. Madden turned, and got her on his team.
4. Madden’s entertaining indecision. He didn’t press his button for Kelsie Rimmer’s singer-songwriter rendition of Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream,” but man, you thought he was going to. (She went with Urban.)
He did turn around for legally blind contestant’s Rachael Leahcar “La Vie en Rose” after telling Seal that people were crying in the audience. (She went with Goodrem. And made it through her battle round.)
5. It’s fun to see a different country’s idea of a heartthrob. Madden did land Lakyn Heperi…