Date set for Nicollette Sheridan's 'Desperate Housewives' retrial
Nicollette Sheridan will have yet another day in court: The same judge who declared a mistrial in her wrongful termination lawsuit against ABC and ABC Studios last month said today that a retrial of her case will begin in Los Angeles on Sept. 10. The trial is expected to take 12 days.
The original trial ended March 19 with the jury split eight-to-four in favor of the actress, who claimed that her Desperate Housewives character Edie Britt was killed off the show in 2009 after she complained about an incident where she claims to have been hit on the head by executive producer and show creator Marc Cherry. (Cases like this require nine jury members to agree on a decision.) The suit originally included Cherry as a defendant on a charge of battery, but that was dropped when the judge said it didn’t meet the workman’s compensation benchmark that applies to such matters.
The original trial saw testimony from Sheridan and Cherry, of course, as well as folks like star James Denton, Cherry’s producing partner Sabrina Wind, former ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson, and former ABC Studios honcho Mark Pedowitz. The retrial will likely see several of the same people — including Cherry, even though he isn’t a defendant any longer — take the stand yet again.
The two-hour series finale of Desperate Housewives airs May 13, but the trial ensures that the drama from Wisteria Lane will continue to unfold well into the fall.
Tanner on Twitter: @EWTanStransky