'Transformers 4' lands Michael Bay as director
Michael Bay announced on his website late Monday night that he had signed a two-picture deal with Paramount Pictures that puts him back in the director’s chair for the next Transformers movie. Shia LaBeouf has said rather adamantly he will not make another film in the billion-dollar grossing franchise, and much of the cast from the previous three films are not expected to return. But producers Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Don Murphy, Tom DeSanto, and Ian Bryce; and executive producers Steven Spielberg, Bay, Brian Goldner, and Mark Vahradian are coming back for the fourth film. The film is already set to inundate theaters on June 27, 2014.
Before Bay returns to the unending war between Autobots and Decepticons that has reduced cities across our fair planet to rubble, however, he will first helm Pain and Gain, starring Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. The film is based on a 1999 Miami New Times story about a gang of bodybuilders who turn to kidnapping, torture, and murder. In 2007, just days before the first Transformers hit theaters, Bay told EW he had been eyeing the project as his possible next film. “I just love the characters,” he said. “It’s these guys that work in a gym, and nothing is good enough, do you know what I mean? The pump is not good enough. They are all looking for the American dream. They end up kidnapping. It’s like a mixture of Fargo and Pulp Fiction and it’s all true. And they’re all knuckleheads. It’s a fun character piece. No action. One car crash.” The film starts shooting this spring.