We wish we can say it: Billy Crystal is going to host next year’s Oscars. But it’s not official. In fact, the Academy won’t even confirm whether there have been talks with the eight-time host. But after last year’s show, which was marred by James Franco and Anne Hathaway’s underwhelming effort, there’s certainly some warm nostalgia for Crystal’s magic. The chorus for Crystal is bound to grow louder now that he himself has said he’s “itchy” to host again. During a Q&A after a 20th anniversary screening of City Slickers on Friday night, Crystal told a crowd in Santa Monica, Calif., he’s open to hosting again after last year’s cameo. “They had called and said would you do this thing and honor Bob Hope and that was a kind of cool thing to do,” Crystal said, according to the Los Angeles Times. “I said okay. I did it, and people wanted to see me, they stood up, and I couldn’t talk for about a minute [while waiting for the ovation to subside]. And, um, I got a little itchy. So we’ll see what happens. I can’t promise anything.”
So Billy Crystal is available — “They know where I am,” he said. And next year’s producers, Brett Ratner and Don Mischer, have promised to emphasize the funny. Isn’t this a done deal? Who would Ratner dare offer the job to knowing Crystal is waiting in the wings? Who would dare accept it?
But is this what you want to see, PopWatchers? One year after making great efforts to appeal to younger viewers, are the Oscars prepared to lurch into the opposite direction? Or is Billy Crystal a four-quadrant host who can attract viewers of every demo? Vote below.