By Clark Collis
Updated May 26, 2011 at 07:14 PM EDT
Advertisement
type
  • Movie

Wes Craven has told EW he has no immediate plans to make Scream 5. Last week, Scream series executive producer Harvey Weinstein informed MTV news that he was “sure” the director would oversee a fifth entry in the meta-slasher franchise. But Craven says that he is in no rush to direct a follow-up to Scream 4, which was released last month. “I’m taking the summer off,” he insists. “I directed and produced, and my wife [Iya Labunka] produced, both Scream 4 and the previous film, My Soul to Take, and they were both very difficult films. So we just decided, ‘You know what? We’re going to spend the summer someplace nice and not think about film for a while.’”

The good news for Ghostface fans? Craven confirms the Weinstein Company is contractually obliged to give him “first dibs” on Scream 5 and that it is “entirely possible” he would make another movie in the series “if they get a script I’m interested in directing. The best situation would be if Kevin (Williamson, longtime Scream scribe) would come back.” Earlier this year, Williamson told EW that while he had gotten into a “massive fight” with Bob Weinstein during the production of Scream 4, he did indeed have ideas for “more twists and turns” that the franchise could take.

Read more:

Scream 4

type
  • Movie
genre
mpaa
  • R
director
  • Wes Craven

Comments