'The Host's Leaderboard': Tom Bergeron on Hanson, Bruno calling him a 'bitch,' and other ridiculata
My Week 6 chat with Dancing With the Stars host Tom Bergeron is chock full o’ gems:
- Mutant Bubble Machine vs. Deadly Smoke Machine: Who wins in a fight? Listen for my oddly delighted “Oooooh!” after Tom says the DSM “smells like Godzilla farted in there.”
- Tom loves the PopWatch term ridiculata! “I grew up in the Catholic faith, and it sounds like stigmata almost. Ridiculata. Very good! We’ve brought kitschy Latin into the discussion.”
- A royal wedding connection! During his DJ days, Tom used to play “Muskrat Love” and the royals did not approve. Another guilty pleasure? Anything by Steely Dan, because when Tom flew solo as the night host of a station in New Hampshire, he’d throw SD on, then dart across the street to the drive-thru at McDonald’s. Tom’s order: “The modern-day #2!”
- Are Tom’s various post-commercial-break kicks a nod to EW.com’s hidden gem hunters? “It wasn’t originally so, but it is certainly in the back of my mind now.” YES! “Ya gotta kick!”
- Will we see another Bergeron ballroom dance, like we did that one time way back in season 2? “NOPE! Way too much work.”
- “You have to get out. You just have to push away from the computer, Annie. GO OUTSIDE.” My guidance counselor Tom Bergeron is so right. But will I ever learn?! The gems are hidden inside the computer.
- Tom calls evil Twitter losers “the venomous short-scratchers.” (!!!)
Press the little “play” triangle above to hear my imaginary friend Tom in all his alternate-universe glory!
More on ‘Dancing With the Stars’: