'Parks and Recreation': Welcome back, you psychotic, library book-peddling, sex-crazed she-demon
Image Credit: Chris Haston/NBCWhen I found out that tonight’s episode of Parks and Recreation was called “Ron & Tammy: Part Two,” I felt a lot like Little Red Riding Hood: excited and scared. After all, the original “Ron & Tammy” — which aired near the beginning of Season 2 — was damn near perfect. In fact, I can say with complete certainty that it was the episode that made me fall truly, madly, deeply in love with Parks and Recreation. Sure, I couldn’t wait to see Megan Mullally reprise her role as Tammy Swanson, a woman Ron has variously described as “a grade-A bitch,” “the eye of Satan’s butt-hole,” and a machine “programmed by someone from the future to come back and destroy all happiness.” But how could her second appearance possibly live up to her first?
As it turns out, my worries were completely misplaced. “Ron & Tammy: Part Two” gave Parks and Rec fans everything they could hope for and more: Tammy sexily slapping herself in the face with a piece of beef jerky, present-Ron watching a video of past-Ron explaining what to do now that he’s fallen into his ex-wife’s clutches again, hilariously disgusting foreplay, and the drunken, impulsive wedding to end all drunken, impulsive weddings.
And though the Ron/Tammy (Ton? Rammy? Trammy?) shenanigans were clearly the center of the episode, other characters also got a few moments to shine tonight. I howled at the running gag about calzones being the worst food ever invented — Leslie clearly wasn’t totally kidding at the end of the half hour, when she angrily reminded Ben why they’re terrible — and I think juxtaposing April’s utter apathy with Chris’s boundless enthusiasm was a smart move. Hopefully, these two will get more scenes together… provided Burt Macklin, F.B.I. doesn’t tear them apart again. I was also tickled to be reminded again of just how good Leslie is at her job; her insane competence is one of the things I love most about Parks and Rec.
Now, on to highlights, quotes, and discussion questions:
– Tonight’s most-GIFable moment: Tom and Tammy dirty dancing. Internet, you served me well the last time I asked for a GIF — if you feel like capturing this incredible scene, please leave a link in the comments.
– Ron’s reaction when Wendy suggests moving to Canada: priceless.
– Ben: “You know what I like? Calzones.” Police Chief: “What the hell is wrong with this guy?”
– “Sounds like it was Macklin’s call.”
– And speaking of April and Andy, you should know that Aubrey Plaza is guest-starring again on this week’s episode of Portlandia (the funniest show you might not be watching). Watch a clip of her sketch at IFC.
– One more related question: Who would win in a fight between Burt Macklin, F.B.I. and Andy Radical?
– Leslie’s response when Ben asks if she wants to grab a bite: “You know, yeah! There’s a really great calzone place… over in Idiotville… down by Terrible Idea Avenue.”
– “I don’t want him within 500 feet of the library.” “That’s good advice for all of us.”
– This episode got me thinking about Ron’s other ex-wife, whose name also happens to be Tammy. Who would you like to see play her in a future episode?
-Do any of you want to try and defend calzones in the comments?