'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark' spokesman reacts to reviews -- EXCLUSIVE
Image Credit: Jacob CohlNews outlets including The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times broke with Broadway tradition last night by running reviews of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark before its official opening on March 15, prompting a spokesman for the show to publicly speak out against their actions. “The PILE-ON by the critics was ridiculous and uncalled for. Their actions are unprecedented and UNCOOL!” said the show’s spokesman Rick Miramontez in an exclusive statement to EW. Many of the the critics noted that the date of their reviews, Feb. 7, was supposed to have been opening night for the long-delayed, notoriously troubled Spider-Man musical before a third postponement last month pushed the official premiere to March 15.
The reviews have been largely negative, with sharp criticism directed at the show’s storyline, conceived by director Julie Taymor and writer Glen Berger, as well as the rock-inspired score, composed by U2’s Bono and the Edge.
‘Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark’ actress says ‘major changes’ are under way — EXCLUSIVE