Darren Criss, Joan Rivers, and Micha Barton made pop culture news this week
· Darren Criss: Glee‘s best idea ever
· Put down this magazine and go download Adele’s ”Rolling in the Deep.” Don’t worry, we’ll wait.
· Another character named George, another director named Tom, and another date with Oscar for Colin Firth.
· A well-deserved National Book Award for Patti Smith’s gorgeous, tender memoir. If you haven’t read it, get it now. · Team Eva Longoria
· Happy 50th birthday, Kathy Griffin!
· Carey Mulligan to play Daisy Buchanan in the Great Gatsby remake. Like Daisy’s voice, this news is full of money. ·Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Fallon perform a genius cover of ”Whip My Hair,” even though both probably have hair follicles older than Willow Smith.
NEAR MISSES · Oscar commits a felony: Joan Rivers is robbed of a nomination for her documentary A Piece of Work.
· Burlesque: We’re not sure this is what the Pilgrims had in mind, but we know where we’ll be on Thanksgiving.
· Jonathan Franzen’s Freedom is a finalist for the Literary Review’s 2010 Bad Sex in Fiction Award. Too dirty to describe here, but it rhymes with spatological.
· Terriers on FX: Won’t you save this poor puppy from cancellation?
· American Idol eliminates Top 24 round, depriving the world of great talents like Ayla Brown, Michelle Delamor, and Sundance Head.
MISSES · That’s it, Mischa. Keep on walking…right off The Bullseye.
· Jessica Simpson: Um…hello!? I got engaged too!
· Sigh…another Katy Perry boob scandal. This time, they’re supposedly flattened in an ad for VH1 Divas Salute the Troops.
· Sarah Palin says that American Idol contestants suffer from ”the cult of self-esteem.” Unlike, say, Bristol Palin on Dancing With the Stars.
· Purple Kelly, Sash, and Fabio compete for the worst nickname in Survivor history.
· Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1: And now we’ve gotta wait eight months? Where’s a Time-Turner when you need one?