I’ve got some news for Regular-World and Alternate-World Fringe fans alike. On a conference call today, showrunners Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman revealed new info on the eagerly awaited upcoming third season of the universe-skipping sci-fi series, which premieres on Sept. 23. So grab a Walter-approved snack—preferably a Ho Ho—and read on.
1. The bell may have not yet tolled for Bell. Although Walter’s former lab partner William Bell may have died in the season finale, the exec producers were quick to point out that nothing is final in the world of Fringe. “Leonard Nimoy has retired from acting,” says Pinkner. “But if Leonard chooses to come back, there is a story in place that we’d love to tell.” Adds Wyman: “I think it’s fair to say that you have not experienced the last of William Bell.”
2. Walter’s advances towards mental stability over the past two seasons may not hold. “Walter will get to the point where he realizes that he has to go through insanity to get to the place where he can be okay,” says Wyman.
3. Expect to really get to know the Alternate Universe this season. Pinkner and Wyman say fans responded to the little touches in the scenes set there—like the zeppelins and Nixon coins—so they expect to show a lot more of those details in future episodes.
4. Keep an eye on Walternate, whose motivations and actions may surprise fans when they are revealed. “Walternate can conceivably turn over a card that you didn’t see coming,” teases Wyman.
5. The life-changing knowledge Peter now has about his own origins will send him on a quest to learn more—a mission that will eventually pay off at season’s end. “He’s going to start putting together a really nice-sized jigsaw puzzle,” says Wyman, “that will be eventful at the end of the season.” (Keith Staskiewicz)