Whirlwind wedding weekend
Plus, Charlie Sheen, Heidi Montag, and more celebrities making news the week of August 6, 2010
Once-jilted Bachelor contestant Melissa Rycroft, 27, and her new husband, insurance agent Tye Strickland, are expecting their first child next February.
Screenwriter and former EW columnist Diablo Cody, 32, welcomed her first child, Marcello Daniel, with husband Dan Maurio, a Chelsea Lately staffer, July 27 in L.A.
Charlie Sheen, 44, was sentenced to 30 days in rehab Aug. 2, stemming from a December fight with wife Brooke Mueller, 32. The actor, who pleaded guilty in Aspen, Colo., to misdemeanor assault, must also complete 36 hours of domestic-violence counseling.
Al Gore, 62, has been cleared of sexual-abuse allegations brought against him by a massage therapist. Prosecutors in Portland, Ore., said July 30 that there is a ”lack of credible evidence” to support Molly Hagerty’s claim that the former vice president made unwanted sexual advances toward her in 2006.
Jersey Shore cast member Nicole ”Snooki” Polizzi, 22, was arrested on charges of public intoxication and disorderly conduct July 30 in Seaside Heights, N.J. The reality star — who could not be reached for comment — is due in court Aug. 18.
Lindsay Lohan, 24, was released from an L.A. jail Aug. 2 after 13 days behind bars. The actress — who served only a fraction of her 90-day sentence for violating probation, thanks to prison overcrowding — reported immediately to a nearby rehab center, where she must stay for an additional 90 days.
Frank Sinatra (the legendary crooner’s grandson), 32, was hospitalized Aug. 2 following a reported suicide attempt. A family member confirmed Sinatra’s presence at the hospital to PEOPLE but wouldn’t comment further.
A second woman has filed suit against Casey Affleck, 34, accusing him of sexual harassment. Like the first suit, filed July 23 by producer Amanda White, the second comes from a member of the production crew on Affleck’s documentary about Joaquin Phoenix. Cinematographer Magdalena Gorka claims in papers filed July 30 that Affleck climbed into her bed uninvited and groped her. She also contends that the actor-director verbally abused her and failed to pay her for work on the film. Affleck has denied all the allegations…. A former Late Night With Jimmy Fallon staffer has filed a gender discrimination complaint against NBC Universal. In papers filed July 23 with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in New York, Paul Tarascio says he was demoted from first to second stage manager and replaced by a woman because Fallon, 35, preferred a female in the position. A show rep said, ”Any claim of sexual discrimination is meritless.”… According to tax documents filed July 27 in L.A., former Rush Hour star Chris Tucker, 37, owes more than $11 million in back taxes. — With additional reporting by Stewart Allen
M. Night Shyamalan, 40
Charlize Theron, 35
Dustin Hoffman, 73
Whitney Houston, 47
Chris Hemsworth, 27
This Week’s Deal Report
· Disney has finally sold Miramax for more than $660 million, giving Filmyard Holdings rights to studio hits like Shakespeare in Love and No Country for Old Men.
· Sony Pictures announced they will make a new adaptation of 1990’s Total Recall, which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as a freedom fighter on Mars. Director Len Wiseman (Underworld) will helm, and the script is currently being written by Salt‘s Kurt Wimmer. Neal Moritz will produce.
· Paramount Pictures will co-produce a 3-D feature film based on the life of Justin Bieber. The teen pop sensation will play himself, and Oscar winner Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth) is in talks to direct the as-yet-untitled film.
· Paul Giamatti will play Nikita Khrushchev in an HBO telepic about the Soviet leader’s 13-day sojourn in America in the late 1950s.
Whirlwind Wedding Weekend
As summer swelters on, wedding season is heating up in Hollywood. A look at the famous brides and grooms who trekked down the aisle last weekend:
· Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton, 30, married investment banker Marc Mezvinsky, 32, in Rhinebeck, N.Y., July 31 as Bill, Hillary, and 400 guests looked on. ”We could not have asked for a more perfect day to celebrate the beginning of their life together,” Chelsea’s proud parents said in a statement.
· Alicia Keys, 29, and rapper-music producer Swizz Beatz (né Kasseem Dean), 32, wed that same day in a private home on the Mediterranean. The two, who have been dating since 2008, are expecting their first child together later this year. Their friend Deepak Chopra presided over the ceremony.
· Rapper T.I. (né Clifford Harris), 29, and his longtime girlfriend, BET reality star Tameka ”Tiny” Cottle, reportedly got hitched twice, with ceremonies in Miami on July 30 and 31.
· Former Dawson’s Creek star James Van Der Beek, 33, wed Kimberly Brook (who’s pregnant with their first child) on Aug. 1. — Archana Ram
Heidi Montag Makes a Break For It
The hostage situation known as ”Speidi” is finally coming to a close. On July 30, Heidi Montag, 23, filed for divorce from Spencer Pratt, 26, after 15 months of marriage. Pratt met Montag in 2006 while she was filming MTV’s The Hills, and after wooing the young woman, he knocked her self-esteem over the head with a blunt object and held it captive somewhere in Los Angeles. Over the next four years, Montag made a series of public cries for help — including appearing with her husband on NBC’s I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! and undergoing 10 plastic surgery procedures in an effort to replace nearly every part of her body with a larger, more pneumatic one. Now that she’s free, it’s unclear whether she can get her old face back. — Kristen Baldwin